Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Assistance with killing the red dragon - possible spoilers! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8551)

Paleface 07-10-2002 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fiend:
Plaeface Whatlevel and What Classes are your team??
I would gladly search for previous posts on this subject but I don't see a search tool anywhere.

Paleface 07-10-2002 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fiend:
Paleface What level and What Classes are your team??
Here they are:

Staccato: Paladin - Level 10 (PC)

Minsc: Ranger - Level 10

Sir Anomen: Fighter/Cleric - Level 7/10

Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - Level 9/12

Aerie: Cleric/Mage - Level 9/10

I realize my party only consists of five people. I have Cernd and Yoshima waiting by, should I happen to need a sixth member.

POSSIBLE SPOILER

I need to destroy Firkraag in order to achieve the Paladin stronghold, not to mention, get that wonderful Holy Avenger. ;)

[ 07-10-2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Paleface ]

Dundee Slaytern 07-10-2002 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paleface:
Staccato: Paladin - Level 10 (PC)
Minsc: Ranger - Level 10
Sir Anomen: Fighter/Cleric - Level 7/10
Jaheira: Fighter/Druid - Level 9/12
Aerie: Cleric/Mage - Level 9/10
I realize my party only consists of five people. I have Cernd and Yoshima waiting by, should I happen to need a sixth member. ~~

/me stretches and cracks his knuckles.

Let's get ready to rumble.

Your party is actually quite low level to take on Firkragg. I usually recommend an average party level of 12 before you tackle him. Not to say that it is impossible though, but it will be considerably tougher.

Before you attack Firkragg, buff up your party with as many spell protections as possible. Spells like Stoneskin, Protection from Evil 10' Radius, <u>Protection from Fire</u>, Chaotic Commands( use Anomen), etc... Cast the spell that has the longest duration first( Stoneskin) towards the spell that has the shortest duration. Chaotic Commands are to be used on your main tanks, to counter the Chaos spell and Domination spell that Firkragg will use.

Summon some creatures like Fire Elementals( use Jaheira). Fire Elementals are particulary good because of their fire immunity. They will serve a good distractions. When Firkragg is distracted, get Jaheira to cast Mountain Bears next to Firkragg, then fire off a Haste spell from Aerie on the Mountain Bears.

Get Aerie, Anomen and Jaheira to cast the Doom spell on Firkragg. This will greatly assist your ability to hurt him. While you are at it, get Jaheira to cast Insect Plague on Firkragg as well. Aerie should also cast Breach from time to time( no need to memorise Lower Resistance, most of the spells that I have listed here are not affected by Firkragg's magic resistance).

Your tanks meanwhile, should be wailing away on Firkragg, but be careful! Try to make it so that the summons are in front of Firkragg, while your tanks are behind him. This is to counter the Wing Buffet attack that all Dragons have.

When your spellcasters have done their initial spell barrage, start using them to support the tanks by casting long-range, area-of-effect spells like Bless and Chant. If they really run out of spells, get them to sling stuff at Firkragg.

Good luck, have fun. [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The Ozzman 07-10-2002 02:23 PM

I was pretty low level when I fought Firkraag, but maybe not quite as low as your current party. You should definitley pick up a 6th character, Yoshimo or maybe the thief/illusionist in the government district I forget his name. If you do decide to turn back and fight Firkraag later, do the Cult of the unseeing eye quest. Along the way you will find the Dragon's Bane, it does +6 damage to Dragons. Just for reference when I fought and killed him, I started out by not talking to him, instead I cast lower resistance on him and when the spell was in mid air I had my party attack to get the jump on him. With a potion of fire giant strength + draw upon holy might ur main fighter should be able to attack with 25 strength. Don't forget haste, bless, and chant would also help.

philip 07-10-2002 03:22 PM

How many heal spells does he have? Because when I fought him
he heals each time he has low hit points.
What things prevent him from healing?

Dundee Slaytern 07-10-2002 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by philip:
How many heal spells does he have? Because when I fought him he heals each time he has low hit points. What things prevent him from healing?
Hmmmm... if it is in a Contingency, nothing that you can do about it, otherwise Insect Plague will neutralise it. I believe he only has on Heal spell.

Wolven 07-10-2002 04:28 PM

Here´s a non cheat way to fight him. Buff up your party, particularly with hasta and protection rom fire. Arrange your party around him, he will not attack you until you attack him. I placed my tanks (misk an keldorn) on opposite sides of firkraag, to avoid the wing buffet. Have my sorceror cast whatever his name´s aura clensing (which in combination with the robes of vecna is amazing) and had all the mages (me, jan and aerie) cast lower resistance (which all 3 lowers resistance by about 60%. While your tanks attack (he is hostile by now) Have all your mages cast 1 creature effect spells like magic missile (use your time with the aura clensing wisely, I managed to get off about 10 spells in the duratios, with firkraag doing only his wing buffet) By the time the duration of the spell wore off, I had had everyone cast a lot, continued casting and attacking (had someone cast a doom or greater malison to help the tanks) and he was toast, no one dead.

Paleface 07-10-2002 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone!
I'm currently doing the Unseeing Eye quest and a couple other quests too strengthen my party a bit.

When I do fight Firkraag, I will use Keldorn instead of Cernd or Yoshimo. He's much more powerful.

I should have known better to begin with.
My journal says I should fight Firkraag "when I'm ready" and retrieve the Holy Avenger.

I'm not quite ready yet.

Xero279 07-10-2002 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wolven:
Have my sorceror cast whatever his name´s aura clensing (which in combination with the robes of vecna is amazing
what is that spell? ive never heard of that one i dont think...

Dundee Slaytern 07-10-2002 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wolven:
Here´s a non cheat way to fight him. Buff up your party, particularly with hasta and protection rom fire. Arrange your party around him, he will not attack you until you attack him. I placed my tanks (misk an keldorn) on opposite sides of firkraag, to avoid the wing buffet. Have my sorceror cast whatever his name´s aura clensing (which in combination with the robes of vecna is amazing) and had all the mages (me, jan and aerie) cast lower resistance (which all 3 lowers resistance by about 60%. While your tanks attack (he is hostile by now) Have all your mages cast 1 creature effect spells like magic missile (use your time with the aura clensing wisely, I managed to get off about 10 spells in the duratios, with firkraag doing only his wing buffet) By the time the duration of the spell wore off, I had had everyone cast a lot, continued casting and attacking (had someone cast a doom or greater malison to help the tanks) and he was toast, no one dead.
Dude... his average party level is only 10-11. Read the thread in full. ;)