Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37000)

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 04:10 PM

I'm about to purchase NWN Diamond and want to know if I must have an active internet connection while I play it for verification purposes?

I'm not talking about playing multi-player, I'm talking about to play solo on my computer.

Please help before I buy.

[ 02-26-2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: rah_pillage ]

Sir Degrader 02-26-2006 04:17 PM

Don't buy it for solo play. And I think no.

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 04:19 PM

What should I buy then? and whay shouldn't I buy it for solo play?

Loved BGII and wanted to get ready for NWN2 coming this June.

[ 02-26-2006, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: rah_pillage ]

Sir Degrader 02-26-2006 04:32 PM

IWD1 & 2, Arcanum is a good bet. Also, if you can find it, Fallout, Planescape is amazing.

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 04:36 PM

I've played IWD1 and 2, and Planescape (morte was a riot, never fully got over that game, hated it to end).

But again, why wouldn't you recommend getting NWN, I hear it's a fantastic game to play solo?

T-D-C 02-26-2006 04:41 PM

The Original campains do leave a lot to be desired.

It is a great game but the storyline can be....lacking.

The best one out of the OC would probably be Hoards IMO.

Other than that I would stick to the online content.

BTW you do not need an active net connection to play the OC.

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 05:09 PM

Ok, thanks Sir Degrader and T-D-C, I can't go wrong for $29.99 US. Just trying to pass the time until the NWN2 drops.

I wanted to try World of Warcraft but the WoW support forums and Realm Forums are a nightmare in Lags, disconnects, loooong ques, patch glitches, ect.., and I'm trying to have a little fun no a troubleshooting fest.

Thought about Guild Wars also, the reviews are good and didn't find much in their community forums to scare me, but interface issues have stopped me from diving in, but the no monthly fee is really nice.

Hmm, guess it will be NWN Diamond or Guild wars..

btw.. what resolutions does NWN Diamond Support, offical and unofficial, I'm on a 15.4 widescreen wsxga+ 1680x1050
with a ati x700 128mb dedicated gpu

[ 02-26-2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: rah_pillage ]

Stratos 02-26-2006 05:30 PM

The best is 1280x800, IIRC.

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 05:41 PM

Is that your monitors native resolution? Or you're running it windowed or at the lower rez?

I run a few older games at lower than native resolution and they look sharp, like Age of Empires II in 1280x???

Stratos 02-26-2006 06:51 PM

Yep, that's the resolution by monitor (or rather laptop screen) is set at. Nothing wrong with the graphics in NWN really, just a bit old-fashioned by today's standard.

rah_pillage 02-26-2006 07:14 PM

These types of games for me don't need high polygon counts to be good, I love the immersion and storylines.

Well, my moms picked up the NWN Diamond and it's on it's way. Thanks for the input Stratos.

Sir Degrader 02-26-2006 07:41 PM

Well, good luck, and I'm sure the IW crew would love to see you in Undermountain. Have fun!

Stuie 02-27-2006 01:13 PM

Hey rah_pillage - I just recently bought NWN after playing through IWD 1&2, and I find the single player campaign enjoyable enough. Then again, maybe I had low expectations going in (since everyone seems to bad mouth the original campaign). There are some slow parts, but there are times when it reminds me of old PnP dungeon crawling. The story is... meh, it's "ok" I guess.

And you're right - for $29.99 you really can't go wrong.

robertthebard 02-27-2006 01:35 PM

Yeah, I wish I could've gotten the whole ball of wax for 29.99. I payed twice that for the Original release. However, it's been three years, and I'm still playing, albeit, online. All in all, it's not a bad gaming experience.

chimaera 02-27-2006 04:07 PM

There are a lot of good solo play modules for NWN, made by fans:
http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=modules

Stratos 02-27-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stuie:
Hey rah_pillage - I just recently bought NWN after playing through IWD 1&2, and I find the single player campaign enjoyable enough. Then again, maybe I had low expectations going in (since everyone seems to bad mouth the original campaign). There are some slow parts, but there are times when it reminds me of old PnP dungeon crawling. The story is... meh, it's "ok" I guess.

And you're right - for $29.99 you really can't go wrong.

How far into the game have you gotten?

Anyway, the Official Capmaign is fairly decent, not as bad as some people make it out to be, but feels quite long.

Don't forget to try out some of the literally hundreds of usermade modules out there.

rah_pillage 02-27-2006 04:38 PM

You've scared me up, I haven't even broken the seals on the box...LOL *shaking in his shoes*

Stuie 02-28-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stratos:
How far into the game have you gotten?
Err... I think I'm somewhere in chapter two. GalCiv 2 has been distracting me for the past few days, so my progress has slowed considerably.

rah_pillage 03-03-2006 01:58 PM

Finally opened the box and loaded it, the game is simply stunning on my 1680x1050 widescreen... Wow.

Rolled a Fighter/Gladiator, 18 str, 10 Dex, 14, Con, 19 Int, 10 Wis, 10 Char

with 12 friggin hit points...LOL

Still in the academy, time to go out and start dying

oh, oh, under attack, sweet..

[ 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: rah_pillage ]

Dave G 03-03-2006 03:15 PM

Quote:

Still in the academy, time to go out and start dying
Don't expect it to be very hard. I played a solo Wizard with hardcore rules and running in an melee was still viable. The OC is ridiculously easy. Personally, the expansion campaigns are much better. Atleast, they are more than "X creature lair, fight mother creature, take head to NPC, collect very small reward, repeat for 40 some hours"

rah_pillage 03-03-2006 03:35 PM

Okay, I can deal with the easy, but I'm glitching already.

I got a warhammer and was using it fine not I can see it in my inventory but can't equip it, I touch it and it highlights but it won't give the examine prompts.

Everything else in the inventory will equip and give promps for me to do something with it but the warhammer. Am I missing something?

Why would a weapon that worked, not work and not let me move it or do anything, it's like it's stuck or something?

Update:
Okay, problems solved...don't know how or why, but once I got pass the initial Academy fights and met the Pally girl again the warhammer allowed me to move it. Weird

[ 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: rah_pillage ]

Stratos 03-03-2006 06:07 PM

Well, stuff like that can happen sometimes. The item is "dimmed out" and unmovable in the inventory screen. This is usually because you moved around stuff in your inventory while running around yourself, or while pausing the game. Standing still and unpausing is the obvious way to solve this. At worst you might need to save the game and then reload to fix it.

Bithron 03-03-2006 06:56 PM

Wanna have a good solo module, try "Honor Among Thieves" It's great!!

Rating: 10/10 IMO

[ 03-04-2006, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Bithron ]

Gimli 03-04-2006 06:22 AM

Have you played Wizardry 8 BTW? That is also a solo game and just amazing.

rah_pillage 03-04-2006 10:28 AM

No, I haven't played Wizardry 8, will have to check it out, didn't see it at gamespot or anything.

And yeah, Stratos, I was running around in the middle of a fight and switching weapons before it happened now that I think of it.

I'll be sure to check that module out Bithron, thanks for the heads up!

Well, getting ready for some Dcrawling.

Mozenwrathe 03-31-2006 07:22 AM

Depending on how powerful your computer is, you may definitely want to look at some of the larger modules currently available. For a different style of game, you can always download some of the abandoned Persistent World scenarios from the Vault itself, as there are at the very least three or four gameworlds people have created which they uploaded to the Vault. If nothing else, it will guarantee you hours of gameplay you did not have previously.

As suggested earlier, there are quite a few well received modules created by the good people in the community. Anything stamped with the Hall Of Fame seal of approval is worth checking into. Please note, not everything in the Hall Of Fame is continuously updated, so there may be some glitches in a few of the modules. (Don't forget to download any hackpaks required.)

Finally, see if you can hunt down the hackpak/patch file that allowes you to go into your henchmen's inventory. (Look under henchmen script on the Vault.) It made the Original Campaign more than worthwhile for me after I downloaded it. And yes, it can even make your henchmen smarter.

ChoccyBic 04-03-2006 09:34 AM

Please bear with me because this may be a stupid question - Can anyone explain to me why Online playing is better or more enjoyable than playing solo. I have played NWN OC,SOU and am now stuck in HOU.

robertthebard 04-03-2006 12:14 PM

Because it's player created content, or, if you prefer, you can get some buddies, hook up, and do either the OC, or Shadows multiplayer, instead of plodding through them with just yourself and henchmen. The biggest charm to me, is all the friends I've made worldwide, gaming from my little cave in Kansas USA. People that I'd have never actually met any other way. That's part of the attraction for me, getting a chance to know people outside of my sphere of experience.

Stratos 04-03-2006 03:52 PM

Well, it's more social than playing solo and have higher "replayability", even though talking by typing stuff into a small bar at the bottom of the screen is a very crude way of communication.

Good servers generally also have good custom content and they update their Persistent World on a regular basis.