Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How has the economy affected you, if at all? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100576)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 03-16-2009 11:24 AM

How has the economy affected you, if at all?

I had a meeting this morning and we were told that there would be no raises this year. Compared to some other people, I'm quite fine with that!

VulcanRider 03-16-2009 11:51 AM

Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

My work has a hiring freeze and they've pretty much stopped all overtime. I'm considering adding a roommate, and a 2nd job (anyone for pizza?)

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 03-16-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanRider (Post 1227597)
My work has a hiring freeze and they've pretty much stopped all overtime. I'm considering adding a roommate, and a 2nd job (anyone for pizza?)

DUH! ..always up for pizza!

Lord of Alcohol 03-16-2009 04:53 PM

I work construction (remodel) and its not good. Pathetic actually. The bad economy along with 10 billion Mexicans taking work for nothing is really fornicating my buttocks hard.

Captain Obvious 03-16-2009 08:35 PM

It has stopped our plans to go to London to work for a couple of years (im an accountant, wife is a banker).

We are going to Perth in Aussie instead - went there for a week to check it out and both got jobs (and payrises!) so it isnt too bad for us.

Dragonshadow 03-16-2009 08:38 PM

It hasn't affected me much yet. But then I am a poor student living off a food bill of about £20 per week.

Ladyzekke 03-16-2009 10:46 PM

My firm laid off some people a month ago. Also cutting back on ordering office kitchen supplies like ordering sodas, etc. Not sure if we will get raises this year or not, although I'm guessing that is a big negative. :(

Can't complain too much though, at least I still have a job. I hope the economy gets better soon. I really worry about so many people losing their jobs. There could potentially be a LOT of homeless soon if not. Crime has also risen a bit, things like burglary and theft are going to only get worse. Things could potentially get really ugly really quick. Let's hope times don't get too desparate.

Bungleau 03-16-2009 11:04 PM

We just had a round of layoffs today. First one I can recall at this company... been here eight years and counting. We've had others let go on occasion, but not a formal group like this.

I made it through, but I am certainly keeping an eye on things.

thecarrotdude 03-17-2009 12:15 AM

According to that one economy person on 60 minutes the other day, this crisis is going to get as worse as it can possibly get during this year. Then its supposed to get better. So that's good news. I'm not really affected by the economy, as I'm working the easiest/unfireable job I will possibly have in my entire life.

Firestormalpha 03-17-2009 01:20 AM

I'm gonna guess you work for a relative, carrotdude?

I've been out of work for a little over a year so it hasn't directly affected me, except making it that much harder to change my situation.