Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Any long-distance mountain hikers here? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86929)

Vaskez 07-06-2003 11:08 AM

Phew! Just got back from the Alps today! Me and some friends completed the walker's Haute Route from Chamonix (France) to Zermatt (Switzerland). Stats: hike time: 11 days, total distance: 170km, total height gain 12km. Highest point c3000m.
Last year I did the Tour de Mont Blanc
anyone else into this kinda self-torturing hobby? [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean it's not easy walking up 45 deg. slopes in 30C for hours on end with 16kg on your back. Although it does get cold above 2500m cos this early in the season the snow is still 2-3m deep in some places! If you don't believe me I have photos to prove it! :D

Anyone else done either of these two hikes or similar stuff?

johnny 07-06-2003 11:14 AM

No, i love my couch too much. :D Good to see you made it back in one piece.

DameonRules 07-06-2003 11:58 AM

<font color=green>I do hikes but not for run. i do it cause iam told. i have 75pd oack on my back, my rifle, and i have to wear a flak jacket which should be called a human microwave. it does a great job at stoping bullets but it also traps body heat in. when i pull off my cammie top i can wring it out.</font>

Legolas 07-06-2003 12:21 PM

At your age, Uncle Vaskez? Are you certain you've heard the distance right? Sound can play some nasty tricks on you when you're as high up as the hill behind the home for the elderly ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I myself prefer the selftorturing hobby of riding city bikes up a mountain. They've some very nice slopes in Norway.

Vaskez 07-06-2003 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Legolas:
At your age, Uncle Vaskez? Are you certain you've heard the distance right? Sound can play some nasty tricks on you when you're as high up as the hill behind the home for the elderly ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yes hiking can be quite taxing in your early 20's [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Vaskez 07-06-2003 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DameonRules:
<font color=green>I do hikes but not for run. i do it cause iam told. i have 75pd oack on my back, my rifle, and i have to wear a flak jacket which should be called a human microwave. it does a great job at stoping bullets but it also traps body heat in. when i pull off my cammie top i can wring it out.</font>
That's quite surprising.... surely they could make it out of a breathable material - after all sweat particles are much smaller than bullets!

The Hierophant 07-06-2003 09:20 PM

Good to hear you made it back in one piece laddie. Now get those pics up on Stealthies or there will be...trouble. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Stormymystic 07-06-2003 09:51 PM

didn't even notice you were gone...perhaps you should stay longer next time??? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Jan 07-07-2003 06:57 AM

Sounds like a pretty cool experience Vaskez.

Wouldn't mind trying this or other cool stuff.

Vaskez 07-07-2003 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stormymystic:
didn't even notice you were gone...perhaps you should stay longer next time??? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Don't worry, I will [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You didn't notice I was gone because I didn't announce it and also because my posts are noticed for their presence not for their absence :D

[ 07-07-2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]