Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Is Firefox slower that IE? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91746)

Jorath Calar 09-25-2004 03:38 AM

Well, I've been using Firefox 0.9 for about 2 months now, I like it very much and have almost completly dumped IE. But there is one thing that bugs me, it seems slow... at least slower than IE. This is especially evident on Forum sites were I can sometimes scroll down faster than the pages loads, and on pages with many huge pictures it seems to take forever to load.

Mind you, I have ADSL which is pretty fast and I don't get the hang ups when using IE.
I still take Security over speed though, I was just wondering if others had the same trouble or knew any tips on how to fix it... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Luvian 09-25-2004 04:51 AM

I'm guessing it's because it's checking every images and cookies to see if it's on your security list.

It happen to me sometimes too, but I don't mind it, since it's still loading pretty fast.

Dreamer128 09-25-2004 05:49 AM

Hm.. regardless of loading times, the lack of spyware related pop-ups still makes Firefox considerably faster in my eyes ;)

Ivelliis 09-25-2004 06:15 AM

I used to use IE, but now I've got Firefox, its good, but sometimes as you said scrolling down big topics takes time, you'll get a few posts down, wait, and then the page gets bigger. It isn't exactly slow, but IE is faster in that instance.

Xen 09-25-2004 06:34 AM

Well I am also using Firefox and I love it. It's pretty fast but sometimes it gets a little slower then IE. But still MF is better then IE IMO.

Memnoch 09-25-2004 06:42 AM

It's slightly slower but I'd rather have my Firefox window slower because all my tabs are there and have my whole PC slow because I've got too many IE windows open.

Intrepid 09-25-2004 08:15 AM

i have an overclocked AMD 2800+ with a gig of dual channel ddr 400 and firefox as a program actually runs slowly, it takes AGES to load, and is slow at browsing, it selectively works on some pages and not others, and is genrally unreliable. I also dislike tabed browsing immensley.
IE is faster and more efficent, i'd take speed over security in a heartbeat, besides it isn't that unsecure especially with win xp sp2 installed.
Don't choose firefox just because it's not made by microsoft, choose it for other reasons, IE's a good enough browser, don't change if you don't have to.

Felix The Assassin 09-25-2004 09:34 AM

<font color=cccccc>Remember that M$ wants you to like IE, that's why it's INGEGRATED into the OS. Firfox is a stand alone, and has to code match, just like any other program other than M$.
Make sure you have the newest version. 0.9.3 that's available.
IE code = load what is available, and let the user figure it out.
Firefox code = Check it twice before loading, don't load something the user doesn't want.

The flip side is, what may take a moment or two longer to laod, you don't waste on closing pop-up ads.</font>

Intrepid 09-25-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
<font color=cccccc>Remember that M$ wants you to like IE, that's why it's INGEGRATED into the OS. Firfox is a stand alone, and has to code match, just like any other program other than M$.
Make sure you have the newest version. 0.9.3 that's available.
IE code = load what is available, and let the user figure it out.
Firefox code = Check it twice before loading, don't load something the user doesn't want.

The flip side is, what may take a moment or two longer to laod, you don't waste on closing pop-up ads.</font>

so they want you to like it, is that saying mozlla doesn't want you to like it's product? and in xp service pack 2 you can choose a non default browser such as firefox, and why would i want the code double checked, why would i want something slower, and sp2 has an inbuilt popup killer, or you could run an independent popup killer if you're not using xp. So for me i have a fast browser which saves time and i don't close popups anyway, so even better.

I'm adament in my like of IE, especially the latest serviced version

Felix The Assassin 09-25-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Intrepid:
i have an overclocked AMD 2800+ with a gig of dual channel ddr 400 and firefox as a program actually runs slowly, it takes AGES to load, and is slow at browsing, it selectively works on some pages and not others, and is genrally unreliable. I also dislike tabed browsing immensley.
IE is faster and more efficent, i'd take speed over security in a heartbeat, besides it isn't that unsecure especially with win xp sp2 installed.
Don't choose firefox just because it's not made by microsoft, choose it for other reasons, IE's a good enough browser, don't change if you don't have to.

<font color=cccccc>Very interesting concept. An overclocked medium range machine actually under performs my daughters web surfer. I threw together an old 233, 64MB ram, gen 1 x86 series for her. She has high speed internet, and surfs right along with the rest of us. It handles all those 'girl' games well, and word processes just as fast as she can type.

Like you say, "IE's a good enough browser" AMD 2800 is a good enough porcessor, why overclock? Could it be we all want what WE want, and not what *THEY* think we want? Or, is there a hidden agenda with your stock portfolio?

If you trust M$ to take care of *YOUR* security while on the net, you might want to receheck their history. Why do you think every OS has needed an SP, and why is it always M$ has the hits from the net? When's the last time you heard of Mozilla/Firefox being brought down? I'll take a slightly slower, but safer browser any day. Reason 1, it ain't from M$, so it's likliness to get attacked is like nill. Reason 2, it ain't from M$.</font>