Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why won't that imp upgrade my manual? (minor spoilers) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20141)

Feral 12-05-2003 11:32 AM

I have the golem manual (with the iron golem page already added to it). I have a clay golem page, but Cespenar doesn't offer to put them together. He says I've got no proper pages. Any idea why? Can you add only one page? Am I stuck with the (fairly crappy) iron golem manual? I can't believe that, since Cespenar still comments on the manual (just doesn't _do_ anything about it!).

Thanks for any tips.

pokeygamma 12-05-2003 12:29 PM

I'm roughly in the same way. I got the flesh golem manual, found a stone golem page and added it, making a stone golem manual. I then found a clay golem page, but Cespenar won't add it. This sorta makes sense to me; a clay golem is worse than a stone golem. I hope to find the iron golem page later, and I figure only then will he add both at once to create the final manual.

So in your case, you need to find the stone golem page. Marching Mountains. Then I bet you can upgrade the manual all the way.

Feral 12-05-2003 01:39 PM

Oops, I meant to say stone, not iron. So, we're in the same boat.

By the way, in the proud tradition of answering my own questions, I've just done a search on this topic. It seems that, while you can upgrade the manual, you can't downgrade it. So, stone being "better" (according to the game) than clay, my clay page (and yours) is good only for the Faerun recycling bin.

SPOILER...

Apparently, there is a third ("better") page later on, although opinions on its usefulness are mixed.

Lord 12-05-2003 04:39 PM

You need the...

SPOILER
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Juggernaut Golem Page

Userunfriendly 12-05-2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pokeygamma:
I'm roughly in the same way. I got the flesh golem manual, found a stone golem page and added it, making a stone golem manual. I then found a clay golem page, but Cespenar won't add it. This sorta makes sense to me; a clay golem is worse than a stone golem. I hope to find the iron golem page later, and I figure only then will he add both at once to create the final manual.

So in your case, you need to find the stone golem page. Marching Mountains. Then I bet you can upgrade the manual all the way.

urm...

stone, juggernaut, and flesh are all vastly inferior to the clay golem!!!

the clay golem is one of the best summons in the game!!!

think about how many major enemies, like dragons, and demons you have to kill in the game...now the stone and juggernaut golems are more powerful, but a clay golem is COMPLETELY INVULNERABLE TO SLASHING AND PIERCING DAMAGE!!! it can only be hurt by blunt...

Feral 12-08-2003 11:36 PM

You're undoubtedly right. But, the point is that Cespenar doesn't agree with you (and with most right-thinking people) and will not let you put the clay page in after you have installed the stone page. Those of us who (foolishly) thought they could have the pages inserted in any order and installed the stone page before they even found the clay page are now stuck (like me).

By the way - thanks. Having it pointed out _yet_again_ just how much better the clay golem is is a bit like lemon juice on a paper cut. ;)

Userunfriendly 12-09-2003 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Feral:
You're undoubtedly right. But, the point is that Cespenar doesn't agree with you (and with most right-thinking people) and will not let you put the clay page in after you have installed the stone page. Those of us who (foolishly) thought they could have the pages inserted in any order and installed the stone page before they even found the clay page are now stuck (like me).

By the way - thanks. Having it pointed out _yet_again_ just how much better the clay golem is is a bit like lemon juice on a paper cut. ;)

sorry...

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("Tome02")

and toss the old manual and pages... ;)

Feral 12-09-2003 10:33 AM

Thanks - Like a band aid and polysporin (sorry for the product placement).