Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   David Gemmell (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39315)

Talthus 11-19-2002 11:00 AM

I just wanted to spread the word about David Gemmell. He's an incredible writer and has quite a few novels out. The Drenai Saga is probably the first series of his books you'd want to read. The stories generally have very good main characters which are described in some detail but not too much so that you can get your own ideas as to what they would look like. The books aren't placed in modern times but rather have more simple weapons such as swords, knives, and crossbows. I know that alot of people prefer books that don't use things like guns and like it when battles are described in detail and yes, his books are extremely good when it comes to battles. There are always complex stories which lead to huge battles between many enemies. The storeis are easy to understand despite their complexity. The first book in any series is almost always hard to get in to but in this series it's fairly easy to get into it and understand what's going on and who's who. After your first book, you will definately be hooked. The first book in the Drenai Saga is titled "Legend" and I loved it. I'm pretty sure you people will like these books if you're into interesting stories with well developed characters and lots and lots of battles and action. So if you enjoy fantasy books like this then I strongly suggest you check out David Gemmell.

To those of you who have read his books then please tell me, what's your favorite book in the whole of the Drenai Saga?

Rikard_OHF 03-23-2004 07:58 PM

I'd have to say... Waylander 3 - Hero in the Shade

bit late reply though... sorry for that :/

shadowhound 03-23-2004 08:16 PM

Geez Rikard are you going on a thread resurection spree or something? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

debiler 03-25-2004 05:09 AM

I haven't read all of them, but I'd have to go with Druss, the legend(is that the book's name in english?) --- love it!!!

Rikard_OHF 03-26-2004 04:36 AM

nah i wanted to make thread bout gemmell
then i realised there had prolly been made threads before.
theres no need for a new gemmell thread if someone started one already, especially one with such a good starting post as this one

slicer15 03-27-2004 06:26 PM

I just realised I have two books by Gemmel...Ravenheart and Stormrider, both Rigante novels. I haven't started Ravenheart, but read over half of Stormrider...I'd have to agree that he is an ingenious author...he has a very distinct style (such as describing clothes) and I like the way he writes about character development and their emotions etc. The addition of gunpowder rifles and pistols in insteresting as well.

[ 03-27-2004, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]