Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Cleaning up the Registry (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89752)

Zarr 04-05-2004 12:13 PM

I'm having problems with my BG1 game :(

To cut a long story short, it will only install to about 85% and when I try to leave the Friendly Arm Inn it crashes. So I need to clean up the registry of any BG1 files, so it will hopefully install properly.

I'm not an expert on computers unfortunatly so could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to do it, starting at the beginning.

It will be very appreciated, thank you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bozos of Bones 04-05-2004 12:22 PM

About modifying registry - If you're not an expert, don't do it.It's that simple. Too much stuff can go wrong otherwise.

slicer15 04-05-2004 12:31 PM

You can get registry cleaners, though...not sure if it'll fix the problem, but it should so.

Try this

Hope it helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-05-2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: slicer15 ]

WillowIX 04-05-2004 03:38 PM

Otherwise it's

Start --> Run --> regedit

Then Edit --> search. Enter Baldur and search for that. No other software then Baldur's gate should have that information in the registry (I did a search and didn't find anything). When a match is found it will be selected. Now, before deleting it, I would recommend you back it up. Do so by exporting the value and saving it somewhere on your drive. After you've removed the values containing "Baldur" (nothing else!) restart the computer. Hopefully it will boot normally. Otherwise import the values you exported earlier.

andrewas 04-05-2004 03:53 PM

Also scan for interplay, but be careful with those and leave them if unsure. Theres a list of the keys you need to hit somewhere on the BG1 support site if you have trouble.

Zarr 04-05-2004 04:09 PM

Thankyou, everyone!

Slicer15, thankyou for that link I tried using the program and installing the game again but unfortunatly it didn't work :( Seems like a good program though so I'll be keeping it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bozos of bones you may be right... I'm not sure if I should attempt it or not. I'll maybe wait a few days and see how disperate to play Bg1 I get. If it was BG2 I couldn't live without it, but Bg1 maybe...

And, thankyou WillowIX and Andrewas I now know how to attempt it!

Your help is appreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Beaumanoir 04-06-2004 03:09 PM

I have a program called Reg Cleaner, think that slicer gave you the link. Its great, fixed the same problem for me when I had some problems with Civ III. Its a good program.

WillowIX 04-06-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
I have a program called Reg Cleaner, think that slicer gave you the link. Its great, fixed the same problem for me when I had some problems with Civ III. Its a good program.
Yepp that's a neat one. However, later versions are not as stable as Regcleaner 4.3, which is the version I'd recommend. Just check the tab called "Software". Select Baldur's Gate and click remove. Done! It will not remove all the keys the game has installed though.