View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #192
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: New NASA Data Debunks Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
First, there are rules requiring new plants to meet the best technology standards -- designed to create a "race to the top" over time.
There is only one problem--the race to the top never actually happens. When was the last petroleum refinery built in this country? 20 years ago? 30 years ago?

I will admit that this is not entirely the fault of government because we all know corporations, especially Big Oil--it doesn't matter if they are making $1 billion every quarter like they have for years, they will absolutely refuse to build anything that meets the current standards because they will cry that it costs too much.

This gets us to the real "man behind the curtain" of climate change--money. Governments have figured out that if they can legislate emissions standards on corporations they can make a little money from the fees levied for statutory infractions; meanwhile, corporations pay lobbyists for special exception clauses so they can drag their heels and continue making money on older yet established technology and laugh all the way to the bank. Meanwhile, people like us are left arguing about who's right and who's wrong or whether or not there is anything about which we need to worry.

Notice that I am not saying "corporations are evil". I am simply stating their nature for what it is. Bees collect pollen, cats eat mice, and corporations lust after another dollar no matter what they have to do to get it.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote