Thread: Party help
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Gimli,

Congratulations on your purchase!

No Bard, eh? Well I think you are screwing yourself; since your Fighter-heavy party is just SCREAMing for one. But, respecting your RP decision and taking that as a ground rule...

One thing you will be VERY happy for in the expansions, even if you were to take a Bard, is lots of Cleric power. Without a Bard this is even much more important to consider. IIRC, I have a Cleric[17]/Fighter and a Ranger[13]/Cleric in my current party, and they both are excellent front row fighters. However, I really do wish I'd done it the other way (Fighter[13]/Cleric and Cleric[??]/Ranger); so that my F/C would have gotten the full benefit of the extra HP that a high-CON Fighter gets in the first 10 levels.

That leaves only one slot, which must satisfy your "mage-esque" requirement. Your idea of complementing your Mage with bow skills is an excellent one. IF you can quell your RP qualms just a bit, you would do well with a DC Fighter/Mage. You can max out 3 PP in bows, also stack 3-5 PP in another weapon (depending on where you want to DC), and the high HP and extra 1/2 ApR is just a bonus.

Can they cast spells while using a shield and/or helmet? Is there any elven-chain type armor they can cast while wearing in this game? Am I going to really regret not having a better melee type devoted to large swords?

Yes, the F/M needs to take off his armor and, IIRC, shield and helmet before casting a spell. The helmet should not be a problem, because he will probably be wearing a hood to enhance spellcasting. I **think** that leather armor can stay on; AND there is a very nice piece of elven-chain type armor that a caster can wear, that becomes (randomly) available in the mid-game. Let me know if you want me to be more specific.

The absence of large sword is not, in general and of itself, a concern. However, I highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend that your Paladin specialize in long (a.k.a. large?) sword; and that your party adventure all the way through to the late-game in IWD before taking on the expanisons. I can tell you why/where/what/etc. if you don't mind a minor spoiler.

Given all this, one possibility is:

Dwarf Fighter -> Axes (melee and thrown)
Human Paladin -> long Sword, Bow
Halfling Fighter/Thief -> Dagger/Club, Crossbow
DC Fighter[13]/Cleric -> Mace, Sling
DC Cleric[X]/Ranger -> Flail, Sling
DC Fighter[9]/Mage -> (edged weapon of your choice), bow

For your Cleric/Ranger, I would pick X such that your Fighter[13]/Cleric has a chance to DC and get some respectable Cleric skills before DCing your C/R out of Cleric. Another consideration is to make sure your your C/R can at least perform 1 "Raise Dead" before DCing him; but this should already be covered if you follow the instructions in the first sentence of this paragraph. I DCed my Cleric at clvl 17, and didn't feel like I waited too long. Don't worry about the high DC levels if you are doing all the expansions: There is plenty of expo to go around, even for a 6 member party on normal/core difficulty.

Another viable possibility for your final three, that might appeal more to your RP tastes; and, as a bonus, gets some Druid skills into your party:

DC Fighter[13]/Cleric -> Mace, Sling
DC Fighter[X]/Druid -> Scimitar, Sling
Gnome Cleric/Illusionist -> Flail, sling
--OR-- Elf Cleric/Mage -> Flail, sling

Yes the F/D is nice: Far superior, IMHO, than the straight Druid. For your F/D, pick [X] between 9 and 13, inclusive. I have a Fighter[10]/Druid[18] in my TotLM party that I now wish I had DCed at Fighter[13].

The F/C could be made into a Ranger/Cleric or Cleric/Ranger. I really haven't studied up on the sweet spots to DC a Ranger, but would guess that Ranger[12] would be in the ball park of a good balance of having REAL Ranger skills and giving your Cleric time to develop.

Haven't done IWD2. You can use slings while wielding a shield. To use a bow, the shield must go back into inventory.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote