View Single Post
Old 07-21-2002, 07:57 PM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

try to avoid books by Ed Greenwood (some people like them, can't imagine who, they're total crap, useful only as toilet paper) Waterdeep (by troy denning in disguise left me with a bitter taste for forgotten realms book, my friend convinced me to read it and it took 3 years and ALOT of recommendatiosn from cousins and friends before I picked up another book, and that one was given to me, they were the dark elf trilogy by bob salvatore). My advice is check out a few diferent authors and if you like their work read what they have written, one of teh biggest problems is that almost anyone can get published (or so it seems) with a shared world series like forgoten realms, or dragonlance, and so there is alot of crap floating around the pond.

oh yeah, Elayne Cunningham is good too

Dragonlance books are good, but there are alot of diferent authors writing about the same characters, so continuity suffers, my recomendations for that are Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmen (stuff co-written by them) and Richard Knaack, one or two others, but mostly those two.

oh, a random thought, a cheap way to read the diferent authors work and develope opinions is to get the short story compendiums and read them.

[ 07-21-2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]