Thread: comp so slow
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

assuming the rest of your kit is up to scratch:

the cpu is fine. 667 is more than ample for this

ram is not fine. but is cheap to fix. just do not let one of those cretins at PC world into your machine. 40 quid an hour to add some memory and dust the damn thing. fine that works out at 50p in total, right? no, they also charge for teabreaks.

*sigh*

to get decent performance on anything less the gods personal computer, you need to de-activate the 3d card. go into bg config and untick it. this is because infinity only uses the card for spell effects and such like, it does make a surprising difference to the graphic quality, but kills your performance. as in i killed the hardest dragon in the game first time after i turned off the 3d card and could click on things proper.

you might want to turn off screen shakes, there not very well done and on some machines jump about 3 inches, and last about a minute.

pathfinding depends solely on you cpu - so turn on enhanced pathfinding. i think it makes a difference, but its still terrible. you probably need more ram to turn the nodes setting up much.

sound is up to you. if your using headphones turn the voices up cos most headphones tend to do voices poorly.

ignore the automated settings. its supposed to turn off features when the framerate drops but it never actualy keeps the framerate stable.

experiment with the different options, you will not be able to break anything permanently in here. if your over-worried about this backup baldur.ini.