View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 06:37 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by flibulzbuth:
I agree with Damnek. The last decenny has been the hottest since we keep meteorology records. Worlwide, droughts have been more frequent then ever before. Still, we can't get 100% solid evidence that this is the result of the rising CO2 emmissions. Has Azred stated, other factors are involved as El Nino events and deforestation (about the drought part).

But we have to keep in mind that in the global warming debate, an overwelming majority of the scientific community acknowledges global warming. The anti global-warming scientifics represents only a small minority heavily funded by corporate interests (read oil industry). As a matter of fact, most of the the anti-global warming publications come from U.S.A., Canada and the U.K. All these countries economy are driven by the oil.

I've yet to find a professor at my University that thinks that global warming is a myth. And as stated in the article:
quote:

"It is very difficult to make that claim. There is a consensus in the scientific community,"
It is somewhat ridiculous to think that most of the developed countries, which economy and industries are very oil-dependant, would ratify the Kyoto protocol to please treehugging voters or because they have an ecological consciousness. They know that in the long term financial losses caused by global warming will be greater than oil profit. If there was enough doubt possible about it, they would never, ever bother about the Kyoto protocol.[/QUOTE]Im not sure what a decenny is, but according to the article I started this thread with, these scientists claim that there has been no noticable global temperature increase since the 1940's. What I do know is that To date, there is no conclusive proof that humans have influenced in any way the average mean temperature of the world.

I will also point out that OIL and othe rpetrochemicals are not a long term pollution problem. As my green friends keep pointing out..We are running out of oil. So in a couple of decades we wont have any oil to burn and the pollution problem is solved. Look somewhere else if you want to talk long term.

[ 05-15-2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]