View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 03:47 AM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This may be an appropriate time to repost something I kept from a thread a while back. It is one of the best statements of the principles of civilized debate I have seen. Though it approaches this matter from the perspective of religion, it's basic message is one we should all consider.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Seriously, though, excellent site, very balanced and informative, and a good discussion too. Cerek, it's awfully nice to discuss things with people of different faiths who are level-headed and avoid insults and name-calling. Far too many discussions of various faiths degenerate into rants and angry epithets.
Thank you for the kind words, Absynthe (and sauceman too).

I started debating theology with a good friend of mine who is a devout atheist about 1 1/2 years ago. He is very intelligent and an extemely good debater, which means he was VERY good at finding "holes" in the Christian theology.

At first, I used to get quite angry over some of his responses, but I eventually realized that his questions were forcing me to truly examine my faith. WHY did I believe what I did?

In the end, it strengthened my faith rather than weakened it, because I did find justification for (and a better understanding of) my beliefs.

However, one of the BEST lessons I learned was to RESPECT his view, even though I disagreed with it. This is an area I feel most Christians could improve in.

When we are faced with opposing theologies, doctrines, or practices, just screaming that the offender is going to burn in Hell is not only disrespectful, it's also counterproductive.

If I show no respect for their beliefs, why should they respect mine?

They won't. They will simply reject my viewpoint out-of-hand.

On the other hand, if I treat them with respect, they will usually return the favor...then we can have a PRODUCTIVE exchange of ideas and beliefs. Maybe I will plant a seed of curiousity that will prompt them to look at Christianity in a different light. Maybe not. But at least they may be more willing to listen to further arguments in the future.

I'm still trying to win souls for Jesus, I'm just not thumping non-beleivers in the head with a Bible to do it.
[/QUOTE]Thank you, Cerek, for the above - I hope you don't mind me reposting it. I would hate to think that people feel alienated from this GD Forum because of real or imagined slights. Respect each other's views and things will generally run smoothly.

[ 06-22-2002, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)