View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrenk:
Sorry about the annoyance. Anyway, I am trying to choose between Swashbuckler, Assassin, and Fighter/Thief. Can somebody compare them, and give suggestions? This is for solo SoA and ToB.
The Assassin is very cool and quite simply owns anything that can be backstabbed, though I remember him being quite weak vs mages. Combine with Boots and Oil of Speed and very high Stealth values to be able to continually backstab anywhere.
Though he is honestly quite screwed vs foes that can see the Invisible. He is a horrible fighter compared to the Swashbuckler and is generally a quite poor thief, it will take a long time before you get enough points to have decent values in all necessary thief skills.

The Swashbuckler is awesome, I'm playing one now on Insane mode with the Tactics Mod, easily the most powerful soloist I've played to date. The combat bonuses really start to shine at lvl 15-20, when he will begin to outclass the regular fighters in every field. You'll have lower AC than a Berserker and be more accurate and damaging in melee combat than anyone besides the Kensai. Your APR will also be quite acceptable if you dual-wield with Belm.
Later on, Use Any Item, Whirlwind, and Spike and Time Stop traps will pretty much make you Godlike, while your normal combat bonuses will continue to elevate you even further apart from any other fighter.
Of course, he's rather fragile physically, that is really the only downside to this class I can think of at the moment [img]smile.gif[/img] Besides him being a tad weak in the beginning, before his combat bonuses really start to show and you're restricted to poor Leather armors.

Fighter/Thief is pretty similar to the Swashbuckler, in that he combines the best from both worlds, he will also get Use any Item, traps, Whirlwind, thief abilities and the ability to use spells via scrolls. Though F/T's will be stronger early on and have access to some useful Fighter abilities that the Swashie cannot get, he will still ultimately be a weaker fighter due to lacking any additional combat bonuses.

[ 01-05-2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]