View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 06:14 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Basically, here is my predicament:

Two years ago, freshmen year, I became friends with this guy in my JuniorROTC class. Surprisingly, he was a past DM for a 3rd ed. campaign he was running with his two younger brothers and his friends. We played a few games, maybe three at the most. Most of the time we spent discussing D&D was during lunch in the library; this went on for the rest of the year.

By the time summer rolled around, I could barely contain myself. I imagined we would be playing a game twice a week for the entire summer vacation, that's two months! Unfortunately, he wasn't as eager to get together. Canceling games is understandable, and I came to respect his decision. But how can you justify yourself when you have a friend so eager to play, and you go on to run a game without inviting him? The only time he came over my house, it was him and his brother, and we played for probably 4 hours. He tells me he and his friends spent the entire night playing, so what is the deal?

I think I need to release some steam in a more productive way, but this is years of built-up tension. Now I realize it's true, people never change.

I was never expecting to see him at school, now junior year at a new school. We had a game scheduled for last week, and I had to call over his mother's house the day of the game to find that he wasn't feeling well. I accepted it, and respected his decision. A little earlier today I tried over his mother's house again, and she told me he was over his father's house (less than 10 minutes from where I live). I called over there, and his dad told me he wouldn't be there until tomorrow afternoon. So what just happened, is he getting his parents to lie to me?

I guess all I want is for him to tell me he isn't interested. Yet he leads me on to believe that he is willing, and eager as much as I am to get together for a game. I would look for another DM, but where do I advertise? The closest college is in Charlotte, and there are no stores around here that sell d20 merchandise specifically.

So what do you all think; is there something wrong with me, or am I being played (purposefully or otherwise)? Maybe I'm being too immature about this whole thing, but I just enjoy doing it SO much.

[ 01-23-2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Nanobyte ]