View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: A Dance with Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Why do you dislike this book? Is it because of the newest death? :p
Partially, but not mainly. Yes, I was irked that one of the few remaining original "protagonists" got axed... or knifed, rather. Killing off all the original protags kills continuity for me. Only one is left, and I find her very uninteresting, frankly.

But, the whole chapter where that "newest death" occurred irked the hell out of me. First of all, he used a raven's letter to skip whole chapters of plot development. He took around 500 words of prose to wrap up about 3 different plot issues I was interested in hearing about. Second, it was an all-too-common foreseeable plot hack of his: to wit, any time you read a few chapters with someone "doing the right thing" or "getting things back on track as they should be," you know they're about to die -- 100%. Which has become about 90% boring.

Yes, I'm irked that every Stark seems destined to be living their life as a tree or wolf, if at all. But, moreover, I'm more irked about the rote methodology than I am the outcome. I was irked about 1/3rd through, long before the "newest death" became an issue.

My 2 coppers.