View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #169
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: New NASA Data Debunks Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Just because someone is a GCC scientist doesn't make him/her one of the most brilliant minds of our time....especially when the actions of some of the more prominent GCC scientists could be considered questionable at best. Some of them have shown they are more interested in saving their status than saving the world. There is also the fact that, even if GW is occurring, it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the world is imminent. It just means the world may be undergoing a change that we need to be aware of and we need to determine what measures (if any) we can or should take to either reduce the impact of these changes or adapt to them the best we can.

TL has admitted environmental scientists often use the Chicken Little cry of "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" and then claim the only reason it didn't fall is because they raised the alarm high enough and loud enough to prompt action that prevented it. Unfortunately, that claim can often be contradicted by facts and data, like it was in this thread.

Meanwhile, when the sky doesn't fall after all, skeptics tend to be like the villagers in the boy that cried "Wolf" and think "It wasn't really happening last time, so there is no reason to think that it is happening now." In the end, the Chicken Little approach undermines the credibility of the scientists, whether they are brilliant or not.
Well, they are the best scientists in the world. Nobody says "I want to be a GCC scientists when I get older".

But anyways, let's say they're wrong, they cry wolf. It's not happening, the climate is unaffected etc. etc. What does it do for you personally regardless of outcome? Unless you have a handsome sum bet on your own ideas.