View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #21
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Why did you decide to go back to College?

oh, and if get in at Snap-on, I want deals!!

You know, it seems like the little carpenter/plumbing/etc guys are always busy. I'm doing some renos for one of the regional ministers (gratis). He was trying to get some people in there to see about enlarging his shower stall. They're too dang busy!
I decided to return to college for a couple of reasons. I need a job that offers security and good health benefits. The two careers that seem to have a high enough demand for the security and also come with group benefits were nursing and teaching. I've spent enough time in hospitals already. A career in Nursing doesn't appeal to me. Teaching, on the other hand, is something I've considered for several years, but could never pursue when I was married because it required going back to college.

Now that I am single and only semi-employed, it seemed to be the perfect time to pursue the career in teaching. I began by taking the Effective Teaching class required for becoming a substitute teacher, then contacted my alma mater to see what classes I would need to qualify for my teacher certification. With my BS in Finance and Marketing, I only needed 6 additional classes plus 1 semester of student teaching to meet the requirements. Teaching is something I have a passion for. It is also relatively unaffected by economic downturns, because we will always need teachers and there seems to be an especially high demand for math teachers, which is the subject I am pursuing.

Finally, I feel that this is where God is leading me to be.