Thread: Spiders...ewww
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #1
Grendal
Manshoon

The pic on the other thread with the guy and the spider reminds me of something that happened to me in Florida. My Ex wife and I flew down for a wedding, being our first time there we were doin the tourist thing around the Kissimee area. We found this little place that rented airboats and though that would be cool! So away we go in our "airboat". Basically a 12' aluminum boat with a 2hp lawnmower engine hooked up to a fan. Well it wasnt quite the machine I was hopeing for but I guess they cant rent out big fast ones to tourists! So we went up this little...river...bayou...slew, whatever you want to call it keeping our eyes peeled hoping to see an alligator or something. The wife decided it was her turn to operate so she gets in the drivers seat and we take off at a mindblowing 3 kph! I spotted this tree hanging over the water that looked kinda odd, looked like it was covered in that angel hair stuff you get at Xmas, so I told her to head the boat in that direction. As we got closer I saw a HUGE freakin spider very similar to the one in the aforementioned pic. I take a closer look and see that the ENTIRE tree (that we are still headed straight for) is COMPLETELY covered in web and thousands of these things! Im now getting somewhat panicked and tell her to throw the boat in reverse! Our boat did not have reverse! Luckily we had just enough space to make a real sharp turn and miss the lowest branches by two feet! I feel nausious just thinking about it! YUCK! So can anyone in florida tell me what kind o spiders these were? Are these a common occurence down there? I tell ya I would have sh*t a brick had we run into that tree and have 20 or 30 of those things falling on our heads!