View Single Post
Old 04-09-2001, 02:10 PM   #8
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Moridin doesn't the earth naturally warm up and cool down over longer periods of time? Wasn't England and Europe much warmer than it is now. Of course we had the ice age eons before as well. I'm a greenie and totally agaist pollution and rape of the earth, but I also have a longer view of the earths pulse.

The annual hole in the Ozone is a problem, but the earth warming? Tell me if I'm wrong.

The earth does naturally warm up and cool down over time, however it does so over a vastly greater amount of time than what we have seen in the past 100 years. According to geological evidence, since the last Ice Age, the earth has warmed about .25 degrees a century. Compare this to a 1 degree change in this past century and an estimated 1.6-6.3 degree change in the next century.

The destruction of the ozone layer should be a major concern, but for different reasons. Ozone acts to block UV rays from reaching the surface. UV rays do not have any effect on 'global weather' but are harmful to humans. It can damage the retinas of the eye and cause skin cancer. This is why Australia (the closest country to the 'hole in the ozone' has the highest rate of skin cancer per capita

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!