View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I agree and disagree with Cloudy. It is their job, BUT if you are offended or irritated by their actions then they're not doing their job at all. Why not put up a sign telling them you don't want their visits or perhaps contacting them in some other way. Luckily we don't have that problem up here. Well maybe we do but I'm not home at 8am. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Well, most of the time ASKING them to stop coming 'round to your place works, but I had the JW's keep coming after I politely asked to be taken off their list of places to go. I finally had to be rude with one pair and tell them I wanted off the list or would file for a restraining order (they were knocking nearly every Saturday at 9 or 10 am AND some weeknights for a while). That got me off the list for the rest of the year but they came back the next year. Their explanation was that they routinely check back in case the occupant sold the house....I let them know they shouldn't hold their breath OR come back til they saw a sold sign on the lawn!

LOL! In some cases I think irritating people IS their goal! But in general, I have seen where being polite worked wonders (for the two sets of Mormon visitors and some Protestant church ladies I've had come by)and they left without hassle.

One set of JW's (the ones I finally threatened with legal action)just would NOT give up, though. They tried to open my screen door when I opened the main door (not a good thing to do with me, I really can't stand people being that aggressive on my doorstep and if my cats were to get out, I'd be one VERY unpleasant stop on their list!). Then they tried shoving pamphlets in the door AFTER I asked them not to open it and to please leave. I told them I wasn't interested, went to a church already, etc and they STILL kept at it so I got pretty rude...told them I found theirs to be full of blasphemy and I had no intention of speaking to them any further so get the hell off my property before I called the police and got a restraining order against their kingdom hall. They had a kid about 10 or so with them and quickly covered his ears when I said 'blasphemy' at which point they left rather abruptly....for some reason... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

That's usually NOT how I deal with people at the door, mind you, but enough IS enough, especially on my one day off where I don't have to be anyplace in the morning! I figure if you dont' hear my 'no, please leave' when I say it nicely a few times, it's open season after that.

[ 09-16-2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]