Thread: Drugs
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Drugs

Seeing as how I'm *NOT* a mental health professional, nor do I play one on TV, I have to stick with my guns: if the meds are in addition to a plan to work on the underlying issues, fine. If they're in place of such a plan, then not fine... at least, not for long. I hesitate to even allow them that much space because "not long", unless well-defined, can become years (as I've seen personally).

IOW, I don't think that there's a black-and-white answer that can be given to you without knowing a lot more of the story, and frankly, that's not my position. A counsellor is a great person to fill that role... a shrink of some sort. Over here, psychologists can provide therapy, psychiatrists can provide therapy *and* medication. Don't know if the same is true over there or not (or even up where Variol is ).

People fall on extremes of the "drugs/no drugs" wars. I stay in the middle (like a true waffling weasel )... use them as a tool in a defined treatment plan.

That doesn't negate what Illumina says... if there are issues, deal with them. Sometimes, though, it's necessary to regain your balance before continuing on. Is this one of those times? I don't know... a qualified professional can help determine it.

Doesn't negate what Variol says, either. I *suspect* that meds are not a long-term solution... but I don't know enough. I do know that *I* prefer life without BP meds... and I have to regain my focus to get there again. In the meantime, the meds help me continue on my way. As part of a treatment plan coordinated with my doctor, I might add.

DS, you've got a lot of support and encouragement here on IW. (I almost wrote "obviously got", but I truly hate when people use that self-superior word ). Whenever you need encouragement, a shoulder, or an ear, there are people here, on- and off-line.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote