View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #14
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
I've been really annoyed recently, at how often I've seen police busting people for going 10-20 kph over the speed limit in residential zones, not totally stopping at stop signs, etc. I have almost been in extremely high speed crashes twice, neither of which was my fault (Calgary has some of the worst drivers ever) and yet never were there any police around to ticket these guys, one of whom was going at least 140 kphs, and who forced his way into an inappropriately sized space. I suspect that if there was more presence on major roadways, rather than residential sidestreets, which are often too short and curved to be used for racing, we would see much fewer accidents.
That's basically because
+ it is harder to monitor an area where the culprit can speed at 200kmph than a zone where 70kmph would be speeding
+ the possibility of a speeder could killing innocent people or even children is severly higher in residential areas than on crossroad streets especially during the night.

It's that cynical: "Drive as fast as you want. Hit a tree. We don't care as long as you hit nobody else." In face speeding is legal (at least in Austria) on private property. If you got a big enough property you can take you car up to 200mph (if you got yourself a F40 or a Diablo ), nobody cares. You could go 100mph in your driveway if your driveway wasn't so damn small
The rules only apply once you hit the road and start endangering other drivers and pedestrians. But if you speed in a zone known to be rather deserted police won't go and catch you. They are there to protect the others from you not you from yourself.