View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:04 PM   #1
Nas'Greth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings,

Today, I completed Chapter 1. I have mixed feelings, to say the least, although I must say that the Finale boasted some very impressive scripting. For instance, I nearly gasped in awe as Desther's pentagal came into view. I hope to duplicate this sort of effect in the persistant world myself and some friends are planning.

I do have some questions pertaining to the general plot, though. If anyone can answer, I ask that you please do not spoil anything from the rest of the game for me.

- In the Chapter 2 movie, it clearly shows Aribeth wielding the sword with the Eye symbol as the hilt. I then examined her portrait in-game, and noticed that this is also shown therein. Does anyone else find it odd that this Eye symbol, apparently the symbol for the "People of the Eye" is the hilt for Aribeth's sword? Would the characters in-game not ask questions? The eye insignia is (apparently) shown at the bottom of the Anonymous letters from Chapter 1.

- Is this sword the same one in the very first introduction movie, in which the fellow who looks like Aarin Gend battles a minotaur while showing flashbacks of his forging of the weapon?

- Did anyone else think that Desther's true identity was hinted at far too much? Dialogue options such as "[Insight]: Do you have something to hide, Desther?" available in the beginning of Chapter 1 did little to conceal his secrets.

- Does anyone else find it odd that Aribeth would so readily sentence Fenthick to death? It is stated on Bioware's pages that Aribeth is the one who sentenced both Fenthick and Desther, and I find this more than a little odd. I also find that these characters' strange and barbaric treament of others makes it harder for me to role-play the character I had it mind.

- Did anyone else find the final boss battle unrealistic in that it is possible to simply respawn, rest, and then resume the battle fully-healed and replenished? I did no such thing, as I wanted a challenge, but I was expecting this to be an area in which death is 'permanent'. I am playing on D&D Hardcore Rules if anyone is wondering.

Overall, I enjoyed Chapter 1, and I have heard that Chapter 2 is much better in terms of layout, setting, etc.. That said, I find the twists and turns that the plot has taken to be so questionable and disturbing that I wonder if I truly will enjoy this Chapter more. However, I have developed a strong liking for Aarin Gend, and I understand how Aribeth feels, so hopefully my role-playing will have its rewards.

I have one last question. Which henchman do you feel would be appropiate for a gentle, neutral good wizard who is quite intelligent? I greatly enjoy Boddyknock's calm and cautious attitude, and am more than a little irritated my the ridiculous responses I am limited to. I understand how Boddyknock feels and why he prepares the way he does.

Regardless, I am rambled enough. I am excited, as I'm sure you can tell. Thank you in advance for any answers to these questions, and I hope to share information on future Chapters in the future!