View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I would say that the game is hard because it seems that after picking up Xar and Monteron you went right to Naskel. The problem is that you are weak right now so here are some tips to help you:

1.Go back north to the Friendly Arm Inn and pick up Jaheira and Kahlid. Kahlid is a fighter and Jaheira is a Fighter/Druid. Jaheira has healing spells and the very important - IMO - entangle spell. The entangle spell is GREAT for low level parties because it keeps the enemy at bay as your group pelts them with bullets and arrows.

2.It is ESSENTIAL that every character in your group have ranged weapons like bows or slings. Get Kahlid a bow, get Imoen a bow and drop the cross bow (too slow),get Jaheira a sling and some bullets. Do you have a bow? Ranged weapons really soften up an enemy before your fighters have to take them on with their swords. If you are going to keep Xar and Monteron do the same for them, BUT notice the alignment clashes if you do.

3.When you leave the Friendly Arm Inn check out the buildings in the compound. There just might be a quest in it for you. Also, go upstairs in the inn and there might be other quests. Then go outside the compound and check the surrounding area. When you clear out the area do what you have to do and head south again.

4. Explore the areas between the FAI and Beregost. The enemies are often weaker and you can some nice experience plus arrows, weapons, gold and other items you can sell. Head to Beregost and check it out thoroughly. There are a lot of important things to find out there. If something seems important write it down. DON'T rely on the ingame journal.

5. You can now leave and head east to the Temple OR you can continue heading south to Nashkel. Again, explore the areas between Beregost and Nashkel. More enemies vanquished = more experience and gold.

6. That "guy with a two-handed sword" is Minsc who happens to be the most powerful character in the game with an 18/93 strength! He is a good ranger but you are right on one thing and that is that you have 10 days to get Dynaheir or he goes bonkers. I don't know if you can get him back once you rejected him. I strongly recommend loading an earlier save BEFORE you met him and go get Dynaheir. She is a tremendous mage and Minsc will stay. Of course if you decide to get Minsc you'll have to reform your party. This means that you'll have to boot somebody. The problem is Jaheira and Kahlid are a team and Xar and Monteron are a team. Kick one out and the other leaves. This is my own opinion, but I'd keep Kahlid and Jaheira. The other two are evil unless of course you are evil or at least neutral.

* Take your time. Use the surrounding countryside to meet enemies and level up.Evenetually it will all make sense. I hope this helps and good luck!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote