View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Branwen has reached the xp cap in all of the games I've had her in the party. In the only two times I've ever used Yeslick, I don't think he was ever maxed out by the end of TotSC or vanilla BG.
I like them both for varying reasons.

However, I think any sense of a superior distinction between the two is a highly subjective matter and that any answer if there is one, will be dictated by the personal reasons one initially chose to take either of them into the party in the first place. (Roleplaying vs Powergaming factors and whatnot)

Whilst Branwen might not quite be able to match it with Yeslick in melee overall, she compensates in many other ways (morale support for instance!) but when I have taken Yeslick on, it has been more so as secondary tank/healer rather than his clerical abilities alone. For the benefit of the thread then, here's an easy comparitive reference:

Branwen

Str 13
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 9
Wis 16
Cha 13

Yeslick

Str 15
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 7
Wis 16
Cha 10

Comparing potency stat-wise is only one way to judge obviously, with Branwen having the slightly better average. Interestingly, both have 16 for Wisdom, perhaps a cause for doubting what would probably have been my general assumption: That from a pure power point of view, Branwen for the most part makes the better cleric. She also has the better dex, can be used as a backup tank. Yeslick being multiclass has that flexibility though, the fighter's thaco, making him more likely to be a secondary tank even if it means taking more damage in the long run.

A simple answer: If violence and the measure of one's proficiency with weaponry solves most of one's problems, send them toe to toe against each other with equal AC and see who wins.
But if roleplaying decisions are more of a factor, pausing to consider the balances and counter-balances of either of them for your party purposes will be more likely to give a pertinent answer. As I said, I like them both for differing reasons.

@Six
Perhaps Yeslick's somewhat low intelligence can be attributed to his semi-senile ramblings about the environment looking like the tunnels of his old home and everything being as it once was as he likes to reminisce. Its funny how he can say this even after the party took down say Rieltar and his goons in Candlekeep, or something similarly incongruous. But it can also get just as irritating as any of Branny's "we are not of warrior borne" type comments.

[ 09-05-2006, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote