View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: How has the economy affected you, if at all?

I worked at a rather low end retail job, when I say low end, I mean when I got hired on, that's where I was staying, no ladder climbing for me.

I was with them for several months, then after the holidays, something happened. The company fired two managers from each and every store nation wide, and our manager brought every employee into the office individually and told us this, basically,

"Sign this piece of paper agreeing to work with us for no benefits, no vacation time, no sick leave and for a amount of 20 hours per week (I was originally full time), if you don't, you're fired."

At first, I asked him, "Wow, the company really hitting the crapper isn't it?"

His response? "No, we're doing really well actually, this is for economic reasons."

I stayed on, because, well, not much of a choice. Where I lived, there were no jobs, and all jobs there were were for little teenie boppers, nothing you could do much with. I hit the wall, and then I blew out my leg, so I hit a really bad turning point.

My dad gave me a call and said, "I heard what happened, why don't you come live with me for awhile, get back on your feet and take things easy for awhile?"

It's been nice, I don't have to work myself stupid now like I had to, work 2-3 weeks straight just to catch up in bills. I went in to talk to the manager about everything afterward, and one of them stopped me, one of those people that think all low level retail workers need to be devoted utterly to their job, "You quit? Did you put in your notice?"

"Yeah, you notice I'm no longer here."

Thankfully though, I've been hired on as a lighting technician, makes really good money now and we work long days, about 11-12 hours, but totally worth it.

Last edited by Gangrell; 03-26-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote