View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Harsh words from MS about MS (MicroSoft)

It all depends on what you're running and whether or not it supports Vista (and vice versa).

My not-so-ancient HP all-in-one printer does not work properly on vanilla Vista. Some guy at Microsoft has a printer driver that will enable it to print duplex properly. Neither HP nor MS is formally providing that driver to the best of my knowledge. Since I've got a fix, I can live with it.

My contact management software, Act!, seems to be doing a lot of fighting with Vista. It doesn't sync properly to my cell phone unless I beat the snot out of it, sacrifice a small goat, bow to the east four times, and threaten the computer with bodily harm. I'm not sure all of those are needed, and they don't always work.

There are other issues where Symantec's support response is "Well, that doesn't work in Vista. Run it another way".

And those are with the two latest versions of Act!. No ancient stuff here.

Because of these issues, I'd rather be on XP. That said, a laptop is almost a disposable commodity to me, so rather than move this to XP, I'll end up waiting until I'm ready for the next machine and get something better then. Whatever that is...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote