View Single Post
Old 03-15-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I refer to these types of strategies as "legal cheats" -- items in the game that allow for an easy victory.

I look at it like this. The developers made the game playable. Traps make some victories possible. When I played solo as a first level theif (after dualling from a mage), traps saved my hide on more than one occasion. There are several battles that I could not have won if it weren't for traps.

On the other hand, using traps every time you meet a tough opponent really makes the game boring quickly. If you can kill a dragon every time by setting 10 traps, what's the thrill of killing a dragon? For variety, and personal satisfaction, I have tried other strategies after killing the dragon with traps the first time through. The most fun was lower resitance followed by 15 magic missle spells.

< spolier >
Other legal cheats would include:
1)Drinking many potions of thievery and then buying and selling from thieve's merchants.
2)Having a high reputation and high charisma and selling and buying from the Priestess in the Underwater City (she sells lower than she buys).
3)Using a Wand of Cloudkill on an unseen opponent.

------------------
"The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." Job: A Comedy of Justice

[This message has been edited by Father Bronze (edited 03-15-2001).]