Thread: D&D the movie
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

And that was the most pathetic excuse for a dwarf I've ever seen. All he did was get food in his beard and insult the elf.

I didn't think the movie TOTALLY sucked, but it was pretty close. I don't mind a thief as a main character (although it was a bit odd), but there was SOOOOO much in the movie that would NEVER happen in an actual PnP game.

First, how in the Nine Hells do 2 low-level thieves break into the School of Magic without getting blasted to smithereens?

Second, our heroes were watched and followed every step of the way when entering the Thieve's Guild, but the Evil fighter and his minions waltz right in without so much as a "Mother May I". (however, I DID like the Guildmaster and his maze. Why risk your own neck for a prize when you can have ignorant adventurers do it for you. That was very well done, IMHO).

Finally, my biggest gripe was the "DUNGEON" where Justin Whaley goes after the Staff of Red Dragon Control. When the Wall of Force drops behind him and cuts off the rest of the party, they just say "OK man, you're on your own. We'll wait here for you". If I EVER had a party do that to a thief of mine, I would be racking up on some assassination experience once I got out of the dungeon on my own. NO self-respecting party would send a thief into the main portion of the dungeon ALONE unless they had tried everything at thier disposal to rejoin the thief and the DM basically said "No Dice".

Batman was able to change the way Hollywood does comic-book movies (even the Superman series were nothing more than live-action cartoons). Now we have Spiderman coming out in May with what appears to be some ultra-cool special effects.

Hopefully, Frodo and company can do the same for fantasy films.