View Single Post
Old 09-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I just got out of an almost day-long discussion with my classmates in earth and space science 1111, and I must say we've been finding out the most odd things. Every now and then I might start a thread here to tell you about the things we discovered/talked about.

First interesting thing: Mars is close to Earth, as we all know, but did you know that the light reflected off of mars was lighting up Saturn? Yeap, Infact Saturn is in very good view as well. You can check out a shot of it here.

Next: Acoording to 3 of my classmates, Nasa has been pointing Satelites at a black hole we've spotted that consumed a star a few years back. What's interesting is that the readings Nasa is getting back are registering as sound waves. This opens an odd question: do black holes produce sound? Perhaps the sound waves are being created by an after shock of energy and magnetism brought on through the stars consumption. No one is really sure right now.

Finally: Apparently on the last payload to the international space station, the astronauts brought along an electric keyboard and some sheet music. They say it's just to feel more at home and not like they're on an isolated space vessel.

You can get a nice big picture (1.5 megs) of two astronauts just chillin on the ISS here. That's all I've got for now.

The picture of saturn I think is very neat, and the fact that black holes produce sound waves is just... odd... I mean... come on... Does this mean that in space someone really could hear you scream if you were getting sucked into a black hole? [img]tongue.gif[/img]