View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
catzenpewters
Manshoon

Out of curiosity I am wondering whether anyone here is from Maui, or if anyone has heard about the premier of British Columbia (Canada) being arrested for drinking and driving in Maui.

He claimed he had only had 3 martinis and a couple of glasses of wine, but he was weaving all over the road, crossed the centre line and into the bike path, and lost his balance when he got out of his car. Apparently he reeked of alcohol.

Here's the kicker. He apologized in a lovely well-written speech on TV, but when questioned afterwards whether he considered himself a criminal, he said several times that he had not broken any of B.C.'s laws. Up here drinking and driving is a criminal offense, not a misdemeanor.

Now that says to me that he considers it less serious that he drove under the influence while in Maui than if he had done it at home.

He also said that since he did this on his personal time that it should not reflect on his job as premier.

So I'm curious about what anybody else thinks about this, especially anyone from Maui or elsewhere in the U.S.