View Single Post
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
One of the numerous reasons I listen to robertthebard is posts like this one:

My first piece of advice is to totally forget that Circle Kick even exists. That is, unless you prefer to find yourself constantly changing targets to stay on the main baddie in a group. I have said this before, but it bears repeating; there are no bad combat feats, except for Circle Kick. Other than that, I have no idea what it is you're looking for. Weapon Master builds are pretty straight forward. I would avoid a quarterstaff monk/weapon master, as it would involve spreading stat points all over the board for a decent build. Fighter would be better, and mixing cleric into a fighter or barb wm build is a bad idea too, especially if you're looking for dev crit. Same reason as the monk/weapon master too, have to spread stat points too wide. Dev Crit requires 25 base str, and you'll need to have a high enough wisdom to cast spells for your cleric levels.
So far as I know, Tomi was a rogue. It's a bad idea to split your weapon focuses too, you end up mediocre in two weapons, instead of really good with one.

Okay, things to remember so far:

1) No Circle Kick. Apparently it doesn't work properly. I thought it was good as it allowed me free hits on multiple opponents. Wasn't really worried about focusing on one character as that was for "dive in and hit" character concepts.

2) For the "slums of shaolin" character, stick with Lawful alignment, scrap the monk, and replace it with fighter in order to work with a quarterstaff using build. (fighter/weaponmaster, quarterstaff - human)

3) No cleric levels in a barbarian build after all. Oh well, I did have to ask about that one. I just like the thought of it. I still need a third class more than likely for that half-orc build. Not sure what to use though as I was hoping for just enough magic to boost their stats and skills. Perhaps just hope for weapons and items that give spellcasting powers? (barbarian/weaponmaster, clubs or light hammers or handaxes - half-orc)

4) For the revision of the Clan Unicorn Onislayer, stick with the nodachi for all the boost. If there is room later on after getting devestating critical, mayhaps THEN get a secondary weapon. (barbarian/fighter/weaponmaster, greatsword - human)

5) Tomi WAS a thief, but I was trying to do another version (or three) of him with weaponmaster levels. I thought of going rogue/assassin for one concept as well, but I didn't think him that hard edged... (rogue/weaponmaster, kukri - halfling)

6) Monks should have gotten more weapons to gain bonuses from. Makes me wonder how I would properly do a Clan Mantis Pirate then. Unless there's a way to sneak around the hardcoding in the system to give other weapons the same kinds of bonuses inside of the game - which there probably is not. So there shall be no monk/weaponmaster builds for me. Ah well, there's always the dream.

7) As much as I want to, that rogue/fighter/weaponmaster build using daggers and whips will more than likely remain a dream of mine instead of reality. Probably as I don't spend enough time really and truly crafting out these builds in order to maximize their abilities within whichever module I have them running through.

[ 11-15-2006, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote