View Single Post
Old 10-31-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm hoping to attract some knowedgeable people here to help explain this. It seems that it's almost inevetable that population goes up in any given country. If our natural population isn't increasing, we open the doors on immigration to compensate. I wondered why this is?

Here's my uneducated thoughts and reasoning. Economics isn't my strong suite, so bear with me.

The first thing to remember is that people are also resources. In very poor areas a large family is the only way to bring in more money from labor. Unfortunately, like any resource, population becomes less valuable as it becomes more plentiful, so it has a diminishing return. Why is immigration such a big deal right now? I think our service workforce was becoming very costly to maintain comfortably for businesses. They wanted a cheaper source of labor. So they got it. Regardless of what we do, the economy seems to always push for an ever increasing workforce population. As I think about it, the rich basically get a lot more money for very little work comparatively. It's called interest and return on investment. But the physical representation of money is goods and services. If you're not doing a fair portion of the economic work for the money, then that basically means that people further down the economic food chain are supporting you for the difference in physical labor. It seems the object of those in economic control is to pay the average person only as much as they need to spend to be a productive worker. This minimizes the resources spent in creating the goods and services, reserving more of the pie for those controlling the distribution of wealth (investing). It seems that the lower classes support the upper by producing less goods and services than they consume. As you try to increase the size of the upper classes, you need supporting growth in the lower classes or it collapses. Automation and production machinery has minimized this to a point, but somebody still has to put in the elbow grease! Without physical goods and services to back up the money figures, inflation runs rampant. To maintain momentum in the middle to upper class, we need to keep increasing our worker population. We know that this can't go on forever. The only way for it to stop is a collapse. Is this what we have to look forward to? An inevetable economic collapse right after a world wide resource shortage?