View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #60
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: What to do with these pirates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
It's not that any one particular Nation is casting blame, but what's in between the lines of the sentiment the U.S. media doesn't cover these incidents and the U.S. Navy doesn't act unless our citizens are involved. It seems more productive, not to mention correct, to point such critism at governments that don't do anything to help their own citizens. Even more productive would be calls for a international coalition with perhaps a U.N mandate to take action.
I don't think anyone was blaming the US for what they did - you've got to look after your own. I don't think the US could have done anything different - they couldn't just let these pirates seize a US flagged ship, especially not after the media coverage. The French did the same, though their rescue attempt ended up with one hostage dead. I think that what was being pointed out was a possible consequence of that action.

The reality though is, other nations (the Philippines, Bangladesh, Romania, etc) are not capable of doing what the US did, while others (Russia, China, etc) are capable but choose not to for whatever reason. I don't think that's a criticism of the US, just an observation.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote