View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 01:08 PM   #51
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:
No this kid who cannot cope will not graduate at all. He will wind up jumping off a bridge. Here in Vancouver in the last 5 years we have had a 14 year old "gay" kid jump off one of our bridges due to bullying. We have had a 9 year old girl hang herself in her bedroom and in her suicide note she blames the bullies at school. And over on Vancouver Island we had Reena Virk (15 I think) get beat up and left face down in the ocean at lunch time. Beat up I might add by what, 3 or 4 other 15 to 17 year old kids? And yes she was dead when they found her. Bullies, schools, kids, and our general outlook on other folks has seriously changed in the last 40 years. You can hope and wish all you like that things would be the way they were "back in the day" but they are not and they wont ever be again. You cannot even think that yesteryears values and or rules are remotely applicable today. Its a WAY more violent society we live in today and if we have to segregate our kids so they can get that extra 3 or 4 years of life experience and maturity I say segregate away! it might give them a fighting chance to make a go of life.
Again, not to say you have no point here, but we had Columbine. That doesn't mean every goth misfit miscreant who listens to Marilyn Manson should be going to some special "God is in the TV" School, does it?