View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 01:46 PM   #54
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:

No this kid who cannot cope will not graduate at all. He will wind up jumping off a bridge. Here in Vancouver in the last 5 years we have had a 14 year old "gay" kid jump off one of our bridges due to bullying. We have had a 9 year old girl hang herself in her bedroom and in her suicide note she blames the bullies at school. And over on Vancouver Island we had Reena Virk (15 I think) get beat up and left face down in the ocean at lunch time. Beat up I might add by what, 3 or 4 other 15 to 17 year old kids? And yes she was dead when they found her. Bullies, schools, kids, and our general outlook on other folks has seriously changed in the last 40 years. You can hope and wish all you like that things would be the way they were "back in the day" but they are not and they wont ever be again. You cannot even think that yesteryears values and or rules are remotely applicable today. Its a WAY more violent society we live in today and if we have to segregate our kids so they can get that extra 3 or 4 years of life experience and maturity I say segregate away! it might give them a fighting chance to make a go of life.

Seems to me, he had a chance to make a go of life. Kids commit suicide, it's a fact of life. They don't have to be gay to do it. We try to help, but in the end, you can only do so much. If one cannot deal with reality...one is doomed. Sounds cold and uncaring, but Im not. Just being realistic. Not everyone is going to survive nor should they. If we all did..then we wouldn't have room for anything else on the planet.

As for kids comitting suicide...puberty has that affect sometimes. Your brain chemistry is all wonked out and if you can't fight your way through it....You got two choices live or die. Everyone faces challenges, I still say Being gay is no more a challenge than any other oddity.

Chewie, they aren't publicizing the fact that that school is for everyone. All you see in the news and headlines is that it is for gays and lesbians and possibly for bi-sexuals.

I was wrong in something I posted to Rokenn though. Even though we were well segregated and distanced from the girls, you could tell who liked them and who didn't....so maybe it isn't possible to keep sexuality completely subverted, but you can make damn sure it isn't the MAJOR focus of a childs life. It's up to parents and since no one wants churches or religions setting the moral base for what is acceptable and what is not. You end up with no base at all.

These kids will go to school and avoid one set of problems but they won't avoid all the problems that face them in life and they won't always be sheltered. So says the skinny new kid who survived many new schools and many new sets of bullies to go on and live a productive and happy life.

By the way, more kids are killed in car and drug and drinking accidents than commit suicide because they got picked on...perhaps we need to think of ways to fix that problem too....perhaps safe drinking zones in the city? Free Needle exchange and dosage monitors provided at government expense? [img]smile.gif[/img] I know Canada is a pioneer for the way life "should be" [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also know you guys are going to be pissed off at me because I disagree with you. Well Im sorry for that. Nothing I said was said for the sole purpose of making you angry. It was said because it is what I believe.