View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #55
Grendal
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:
No this kid who cannot cope will not graduate at all. He will wind up jumping off a bridge. Here in Vancouver in the last 5 years we have had a 14 year old "gay" kid jump off one of our bridges due to bullying. We have had a 9 year old girl hang herself in her bedroom and in her suicide note she blames the bullies at school. And over on Vancouver Island we had Reena Virk (15 I think) get beat up and left face down in the ocean at lunch time. Beat up I might add by what, 3 or 4 other 15 to 17 year old kids? And yes she was dead when they found her. Bullies, schools, kids, and our general outlook on other folks has seriously changed in the last 40 years. You can hope and wish all you like that things would be the way they were "back in the day" but they are not and they wont ever be again. You cannot even think that yesteryears values and or rules are remotely applicable today. Its a WAY more violent society we live in today and if we have to segregate our kids so they can get that extra 3 or 4 years of life experience and maturity I say segregate away! it might give them a fighting chance to make a go of life.
Again, not to say you have no point here, but we had Columbine. That doesn't mean every goth misfit miscreant who listens to Marilyn Manson should be going to some special "God is in the TV" School, does it? [/QUOTE]Im not saying that at all TL. Are you saying that having your 9 yr old daughter swinging by the neck in her bedroom while you think shes listening to Britney Spears and painting her toenails with pearl blue nail polish is acceptable?
I think I sort of derailed this thread a bit and for that I apologize. Bullying really gets me going. As for the school...I dont think its a bad idea at all. Being gay isnt like being a goth misfit miscreant who listens to Marilyn Manson, (Im 36 BTW and listen to Marilyn Manson) The hatred towards gays is more akin to the hatred towards blacks in the fifties and sixties. All Im saying is that if you are able to give a (gay) kid an extra 2 or 3 years to let his brain mature to a point that he realizes that suicide (or murder)is not the only option then why not do it? Your not sheltering him, hes still going to know hes gay, hes still going to get harassed, but maybe not to the point that he will do something stupid and irreversable. If you have 2 kids that are gay in a school of 1,300 students or you have 100 straight kids in a school of 300 gay kids who do you think will grow up with more self confidence and self worth, not to mention lower bullying and suicide rates.
As for Columbine Im not going jump into your "whos tragedy is worse debate". The three instances I gave and the one you gave and Im sure the ones that every city in the world can make, are symtoms of the exact same problems no matter what borders are beside us.If you cant see that then you are part of the problem.

[ 09-11-2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Grendal ]