View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #58
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:
I dont think its a bad idea at all. Being gay isnt like being a goth misfit miscreant who listens to Marilyn Manson, (Im 36 BTW and listen to Marilyn Manson)
I listen to them too. I have tickets for the Manson concert this month. It won't be my first. Though, this time I'll be smart enough to wear black so I don't stick out so much. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Quote:
The hatred towards gays is more akin to the hatred towards blacks in the fifties and sixties.
Right, exactly. And after 50 years of segregation, Brown vs. Board of Topeka overturned Plesy vs. Ferguson because "separate is never equal."
Quote:
All Im saying is that if you are able to give a (gay) kid an extra 2 or 3 years to let his brain mature to a point that he realizes that suicide (or murder)is not the only option then why not do it? Your not sheltering him, hes still going to know hes gay, hes still going to get harassed, but maybe not to the point that he will do something stupid and irreversable.
It's not that you're sheltering him/her from being gay. You're sheltering them from their opportunity to learn how to fit in anyway. If this became an at-large policy, you are also sequestering the straight kids -- without exposure to gay kids, can we expect those kids to pop out of high school and go to college to welcome those kids that went to the "fag school" into their sororities and fraternities?
Quote:
If you have 2 kids that are gay in a school of 1,300 students or you have 100 straight kids in a school of 300 gay kids who do you think will grow up with more self confidence and self worth, not to mention lower bullying and suicide rates.
Well, a few notes. One, gay kids can be bullies too, especially when they are in the majority in the school. Gay does not equal kind/gentle. I know gays who'd bitch-slap you as soon as look at you and lesbians who'd beat your ass in just so they can leave on more male in their wake who will be made fun of for losing a fight to a girl. Two, your percentages may apply to the "out" kids (likely 2/1300 is too low for even that, though), but I'm certain the minority group is larger than that. Nevertheless, my main point is that those 2/1300 may have trouble in high school, but when they hit the mall to waste mom and dad's money after school, they're going to be in the same situation. Except worse: rather than "those losers everyone ignores at school" they'll be "those fa*s from the fa**oty fa* farm -- let's beat their asses-- yar." Seriously, in any one town/community, these people will have to integrate into the same larger group of peers whether they do it at school or outside of school.
Quote:
As for Columbine Im not going jump into your "whos tragedy is worse debate".
I didn't mean to imply either tragedy was worse. Assuming all tragedies that ever occured in high schools the world over are equal, my point still holds.

[ 09-11-2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]