View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 03:39 PM   #60
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
We have special schools for special kids. Gay kids should not be more special than black kids or handicapped kids. They're a part of society so let them be a part of high school. Starting ghettos at high school is not a smart idea.

also: smart, dumb, creative, trouble-making kids receive special schooling because they need different education. Fearful kids don't need different education.
No but a different enviroment perhaps?
Quote:

I also would rather have my gay/nerdy/fat/otherwise stereotyped kid go to a special school before having him/her beaten up. That doesn't make it right.
I agree, the school is a neccessary evil IMO until whatever changes in the climate of the other schools that allow for such hateful bigotry to exist in the first place.
Quote:

There is a clear choice here. STOP the bullies. If they are indeed so troublesome that they drive other kids to suicide they belong in that special troublemaker school where they are taught how to interact correctly and decently with society. If they are just uncomfortable fellows other kids will have to learn dealing with them because in life you often meet uncomfortable people.
I agree here as well, the hateful and possibly violent bigots need to be "straightened out" (enjoy the irony and/or the pun [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) This I would prefer over the seperate safe school.

Quote:

Getting your head stuck in a jon is not a life lesson because that will probably never happen to you in social interaction with an adult. And if so he's up for assault charges (as the bully should be in a way adjusted to his age). Being taunted or mocked is something you WILL face sooner or later in life so it's not bad if you get to know it at high school.
Well an occassion heckler is not the same as reoccuring harrassment or violence.
Its matter of discerning the "harmless" jerks from the real bad apples. I would be okay teaching my potential gay kid that "sticks and stones will break your bones but words can never hurt you" because thats an important lesson IMO. They shouldn't have to tolerate the actual stick and stones or the plausible threat of them either.