View Single Post
Old 08-24-2001, 10:19 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis:
Still just in Chapter 2 but already pretty impressed with story and NPC interaction. (I'm finding one quest interrupting another is somewhat annoying, however.) I'm currently headed to the de' Arnise stronghold to fulfill Nalia's quest.

Party right now is me/cleric-thief, Yoshi, Anomen, and Nalia. Thieving and healing/priest spells I've got well covered. I realize the party could probably use some more wizard spellcasting, but at least for now Nalia seems be doling out the mage spells pretty well.

I'd been considering leaving the party size at four to level up faster. But I now recall reading that you level up very fast in BG2 anyway. Better to just fill up the party to six?

Also, what are some of your favorite BG2 NPCs? (I figured I wouldn't take on any of the reappearing ones from BG1, just so that I can try our as many new ones as I can.)
Mages??? Hell, you have no warriors! If I am playing with 6 characters, I try for 2 warriors, 2 priests, 2 magic-users, and 1 thief (obviously need multiclassing or dual-classing to fill this).

First, how are your thieving skills? Did you max out open locks and find/remove traps (80% + in each)? If so, drop Yoshimo. Yoshimo may be the best thief in the game, but you really don't need him if your main character is a thief. Even if your character's open locks and find/remove traps are low, you can use potions and items to increase them. You can use potions of invisibility to aid your sneaking around until you raise the above 2 abilities to 100% (if you attack from behind when invisible, it will be counted as a backstab). Thus, you should handle the party's thieving needs, and leave Yoshimo in the dust.

Second, Anomen and you fill your priest needs. Anomen is also a decent backup fighter, but not good enough to be your primary warrior.

Thus, if you are intent on playing the game with 4 characters, you will probably want to add Minsc (he is very versatile, being good in both missile and melee combat) to fill Yoshimo's slot. He will be in the Copper Coronet, unless you left him in his cage in Irenicus's dungeon. If you can't get Minsc, add Mazzy (great with missiles, but will probably want Anomen to be your tank), Valygar (also versatile, but his inability to wear heavier armors will limit his ability to tank for the party), or Keldorn (AWESOME tank, but not good at all with missiles).

If playing with 6 characters, keep Nalia as your mage, but also add either Aerie (she'll be a third cleric in addition to mage; a little overkill) or Jan (good backup mage plus awesome thief; you don't need his thief skills, but you do need a mage). Drop that NPC for Imoen when you get her back (she's more of a straight mage, but bring lots of spell scrolls for her, since she will have been gone from the party during the time you were earning experience). Then, after dropping Yoshi, add two warriors. Since you have backstabbing in the party, steer away from Valygar. I rather like the idea of Keldorn and Mazzy (best tank and best archer), or either of the above with Minsc (more versatile, plus Minsc has some cool interactions).

I hope this helps!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...