View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
Grendal
Manshoon

It was pointed out in another thread how many of our youth are dieing in drinking/driving instances. I think I may have a solution to cut down at least part of the carnage on our roads. Let me know if you think this could fly. On the west coast of Canada here we have a serious problem with young drivers. Yes alot of it has to do with drinking and driving. Kids get drunk they race and kill themselves or worse yet kill an innocent bystander. IMHO its not so much the drinking as it is the speed. A 16 yr olds parents should not be buying a new driver with zero driving experience a new 5 litre Mustang which happens more often than not out here. Not only does the kid now have a fast factory car but then they take their Mcdonalds paycheck and since they still live at home and have no bills they start modifying it. Case in point...The wife and I went out for dinner the other week and were seated next to a young asian couple (MAYBE they were seventeen) We finished our supper then left at about the same time they did. So we exit the restaurant and this 16 or 17 yr old jumps into a completely tricked out Mercedes SLK Kompressor! Give me a fricken break! This kid should be in a chevette! Anyways...my idea...put horsepower restrictions on new drivers and graduate it up over say 3 or 4 years. I have been driving for 20 years but even with all that experience I dont consider myself to be able to drive an F1 car like Mario! Im not sure how you would enforce a rule like this but it would save lives.