View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
quote:
Originally posted by B_part:
The problem is, a Fiat 500 (the new one of course) can run as fast as 120 km/h.
Yes but at 120km/h you can control your car better than at 190 or 250
I can tell you that even on a borad "Autobahn" a speed of 200 km/h makes me feel insecure as a young and inexperienced driver. While at 140 I feel just fine. Of course you can kill somebody if you run him over at 30kmph but you're much less likely to.
[/QUOTE]Controlling a car at 120 can be difficult if you are drunk. And obviously I was talking about the lamest car I know to say that you would have to limit a lot before attaining any result. Anyway my old Punto, perhaps the second lamest car after Fiat 500, with 60 hp would reach 170 km/h. 170 ain't much slower than 190...

You can take for granted that a drunk youngster will run as fast as he can. And even if it's only 120, it's far enough to kill. REmember that at 120 km/h means you move at 33.33 meters /second. The average reaction time for a sober man is something about 0.3 seconds. That gets at least doubled when you are drunk, so a drunk man at 120km/h will make 20 meters before he even starts to break.

So, either you limit horsepower so that the car won't go faster than let's say 80, or you will not get much in the way of results. That's not a NO result, but zero tolerance and capillary control will do much better.

Edit: forgot a piece

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman
I'm not sure how car insurance is handled in the US/Canada but here it is obligatory and the younger the driver the higher. And car tax here is based on hp. Also young drivers with high-powered car are paying even more and that's not 5% but rather 30-40% - aside from the fact of course that a new car owner always pays more and that after some years of accident-free driving you can halve the cost of your insurance.

This is what happens here in Italy. And I am afraid to say that's just a way to enrich the insurance companies. In Naples a newly licenced driver has to pay € 4000 a year for the compulsory insurance! That's because car accidents and insurance frauds are really common in that city. But here in Milan things aren't better. Insurance on my car is under my mom's name. with my 4 years licence, and not one accident (and hopefully none to come), I'd have to pay double!

[ 09-11-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: B_part ]