View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Grendal:
Good points made all around. B part...I know what you mean, you can get a whole lot of horsepower out of a small engine these days. But the 3.6 hp scooter you also have to look at power to wieght ratio so yes it will go that fast. Faceman thats what I was talking about. When I was a teenager learning to drive, speeds of 120 or 140k was commonplace.At 120 you may still have a chance to recover if something goes wrong. But the speeds the kids are reaching these days (around here anyways) are anywhere between 200 and 250k! Handleing, breaking, airbags or no, dont much come into play when your 16 years old, your super hot girlfriend is beside you laughing histerically (sp?), when all of a sudden you hit a pothole you didnt know was there (and you couldnt see it because your eyes and brain were evolved to see things go by at a max of what? 7 mph?) and your high power BMW that mom and dad got you 2 weeks ago breaks lose at 225 kph, you slide thru a bus stop instantly killing a 34 yr old mother of 2 and then hit a concrete embankment that leaves you a quadrapalegic and your girlfriend dead. WOW pretty graphic! This happened about two years ago here. My feeling is that if the kid had been driving a ford festiva this would not have happened, or maybe it would have but may not have been as tragic an outcome. Hence...the HP restriction idea...but alas as you have pointed out B. it would practically impossible to enforce. Ok how bout this...no one with less than three years driving can drive a car worth more than $500 ??? Hey someones got to solve the worlds problems!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
For $ 500 I could buy an old Fiat 500 Abarth. A 180 km/h flying coffin. There is always a way around.

I mentioned my scooter because motorbikes pose the same problem than cars, so along with the lamest car I got the lamest bike...

BEsides, I totally agree with you that for a young and inexperienced and maybe drunk/high kid a big car is a highway to hell. Just I was pointing out that the law you proposed not applicable. Here in Italy they did something similar some 5 or 6 years ago. No result. Now that they are applying zero tolerance, results are coming.