View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I don't know if horsepower limitations would work. A Mazda Miata has a teeny tiny lawn-mower four-banger, but you can get it up to speed and whack yourself pert good. Admittedly, my first car was a V6 Z24, and yes I buried the needle at 120 mph several several times. I raced it, I careened and careered about in it, I scared my girlfriends, I pissed off other drivers. I found out the governor kicked in at about 140-145 mph, causing a power-down. So, I should not have had so powerful a car I will admit. But, that was my parents' failing. I watched them make that mistake, and I won't do it. My 16 or 17-yr-old will get a crap jalopy to drive. I'll pay for college if I can, and may help with a car when and if they show me they deserve it. Teens have a 98% rate for wrecking their first car, anyway (insurance companies say the 80% of accidents are caused by the 16-20 and 70+ crowd).

But, let's not once again make the legislature impose more rules to protect us from each other. We can't legislate every single thing. Accidents will happen (there's a reason they're not called "on-purposes" y'know), and it's not our place to protect people from themselves. While I agree with the goal of getting teens into crappy cars, I think this idea wanders to far into nannyism for my support.

Oh, by the way, here's what drinking and driving were like for me

Back when Mark Walhberg was Marky Mark
This is how we used to make the party start
We used to mix Hen' with Bacardi Dark
And when it, kicks in you can hardly talk
And by the, sixth gin you're gonna probably crawl
And you'll be, sick then and you'll probably barf
And my pre-diction is you're gonna probably fall
Either somewhere in the lobby or the hallway wall
And everything's spinning
You're beginin' to think women
are swimming in pink linen again in the sink
Then in a couple of minutes that bottle of Guiness is finished
You are now allowed to officially slap bitches
You have the right to remain violent and start wilin'
Start a fight with the same guy that was smart eyin' you
Get in your car, start it, and start drivin'
Over the island and cause a 42 car pile-up

(Actually, it's Eminem, but I can pretend, can't I?)