Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
Tormentor
Manshoon

Hey there fellow's im close to the completion of BG2, and im sure ToB won't take any long too, the problem is that i don't have a hi-tech computer, nor i don't really like 3d games, so do you guys know of any no-3d rpg's coming out this year? o whom are allready releases? (no really old one's tho....) , i do HAVE enjoyed 3d rpg's like 'betrayal at krondor' in the past tho.. but it seems that i'm so used to the bioware infinity engine now, so i'm really hoping for a game like that... please help me! what else should i play?.. [img]smile.gif[/img] i don't like action or race games! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
fable
Quintesson

Good question! although you might get more of a response under General Discussion. (Though I recommend against double posting.)

Gorasul is a BG2 clone from Germany that was recently exported. It's got some interesting ideas of its own, but currently has a slew of laughable grammar and spelling issues--they shot themselves in the foot by doing a bad job at translation! A new translation is under way, according to JoWood Productions. You might want to do a web search and look at it.

Evil Islands appeared about 6 months ago. It's from Russia, I believe, and has some game balance issues, particularly with monsters--but again, it provides an interesting change of pace based on the 2D RPG paradigm.

Also, some groups of player-programmers are seriously recoding Ultima VII (arguably the best of the series) parts 1 and 2 (along with their add-ons) for the modern PC. It looks like they're really making excellent progress. You can check 'em out at http://exult.sourceforge.net/
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 06:50 PM   #3
Tormentor
Manshoon

i tought i'd posted this in the general disscussion, and tought it was erased! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] heh sorry.... can anyone place this in the general discussion? (moderator?)
very very sorry!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:40 AM   #4
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Have you played Icewind Dale? It uses the exact same engine and ruleset as the Baldur's Gate-series and you'll probably like it a lot if you like BG. It's a bit more hack n' slash though, less story.
Also you could try Planescape: Torment, also same engine and ruleset, but this one is more story-oriented and less combat than BG.
Both of these should be available at very low prices too.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Tormentor
Manshoon

Yep, i own both games too, IWD rocks, but PT was a bit too short , and too much 'blah blah blah' for me , hmmm is there no option for moving this topic? (moderators?)..