Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
DR.Perini
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A few years ago I started to play baldur's gate on a room mates computer and loved the game but I never made the time to get far and then later the room mate moved out. So now I want to get back into it so I purchased baldurs gate 1 and 2. I have a slight problem. When I try to install BG1 I get an error message. It is a "16 bit windows subsystem" error. Which says

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application."

I assume that this means that BG1 cannot be installed because I am using Windows XP OS, because BG1 one was made previous to that OS. Does anyone have any tips or patches etc. for me as to how I could get it to work? I could set up a partition on my hard drive and run windows 98 as well as XP but thats just a pain in the donky.

Please someone with a miracle!!
DR.Perini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
DR.Perini
Elite Waterdeep Guard

By the way I decided to try to install BG2 on XP in the mean time to see if it would work and it does. But that would just be wrong. Its kind of like watching 'Return of the King' before 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. But I'm starting to get desparate people!!
Old 10-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Try this:

Open or explore your CD folder... select the setup.exe file. right-click and select "properties". Click on the 'compatibility' tab and select the "run this program in compatible mode with windows 95 or 98" or somesuch.... you might want to do this also with autorun.exe and other executable files...

Don't play BG2 before BG1... it's just not right

btw, do you have Tales of the Sword Coast too?

[ 10-09-2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 10-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Right I found the solution to your problem...

Check this page http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....73784&forum=11 of the Bioware forums... It is exactly the same problem you are having and the solution is provided...
Let me know if this works.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
DR.Perini
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank u so much ZFR!! I cant tell u how happy I am to solve the problem. I honestly did not not think anyone would have the solution let alone so fast. U responded with the answer within 25 minutes of my post, thats wicked. And just in the nick of time cuz I had just created a character and was gonna play BG2 i was so desparate to play any BG. I cant believe how Awesome the internet is there are so many people with the same problems as me and it is usually pretty easy to solve them as long as u go to the right place. thanx again dude!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #6
DR.Perini
Elite Waterdeep Guard

oh by the way I dont have tales of the sword coast but will definately consider getting that for when I finish BG1. I also play a little bit of a friends Neverwinter Nights. Although the graphics are better and it has some cool features I still prefer BG1 I like the openess of the world. Neverwinter u are stuck in the city and thats it. (unless there is alot more to what I played.)
Old 10-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Right! Glad I could help.... Consider getting Tales Of The Sword Coast... you wont be disappointed...

The openess of the world is what I loved in BG1 too... I simply loved those many many many wilderness areas not connected with the main plot... You couldnt find them in BG2 and both IWDs and NWN...