Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 PM   #1
strangeranger
Welcomed New User

OK- super easy question. In a move I lost my IWD "how-to" book and I'm just now getting back into playing. My party are all advancing nicely, but I cannot remember how to get my mage to memorize anything. He is well beyond Level 1, but the only spells he has memorized are from that level. It is making him dead-weight for the party. Any pointers?
strangeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by strangeranger:
OK- super easy question. In a move I lost my IWD "how-to" book and I'm just now getting back into playing. My party are all advancing nicely, but I cannot remember how to get my mage to memorize anything. He is well beyond Level 1, but the only spells he has memorized are from that level. It is making him dead-weight for the party. Any pointers?
Well he will not be able to learn level 2 spells until he reaches level 3. Even when he reaches level 3 he still needs to find a scroll with a level 2 spell and write it to his book. For example you can memorize one level 9 spells from your book when your mage reaches level 18. I hope this helps. You can write spells of any level to your book at any time by right clicking on that spell, then selecting write spell.

Spell Levels ----> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Exp. Level
1 1 - - - - - - - -
2 2 - - - - - - - -
3 2 1 - - - - - - -
4 3 2 - - - - - - -
5 4 2 1 - - - - - -
6 4 2 2 - - - - - -
7 4 3 2 1 - - - - -
8 4 3 3 2 - - - - -
9 4 3 3 2 1 - - - -
10 4 4 3 2 2 - - - -
11 4 4 4 3 3 - - - -
12 4 4 4 4 4 1 - - -
13 5 5 5 4 4 2 - - -
14 5 5 5 4 4 2 1 - -
15 5 5 5 5 5 2 1 - -
16 5 5 5 5 5 3 2 1 -
17 5 5 5 5 5 3 3 2 -
18 5 5 5 5 5 3 3 2 1
19 5 5 5 5 5 3 3 3 1
20 5 5 5 5 5 4 3 3 2

[ 10-10-2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
strangeranger
Welcomed New User

Many thanks Red Dragon. Acutally, I got that part. The question is how to get it written to his book. I find all sorts of scrolls that are usable, but getting them written into his book for memorization seems to be something I just can't remember or figure out! Again, sorry for the dopey question, but I can't seem to figure it out! SR
Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Save your game, Just go to your inventory right click on the scroll and it will pop open a description and gives you an option to "Write Spell" click this button you have a chance based on intelligence to write the spell to your book. If you fail then you can reload. Potions of genius help in memorizing spells. After that you can go to your spell book and start selecting the spells you wish to fill the slots on the left. If the scroll does not have a "write Spell" option it is probably a priest scroll.

Oh, and I almost forgot, Welcome to the boards!!! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

[ 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 01:34 PM   #5
strangeranger
Welcomed New User

See there. I knew it was going to be something so simple. But it was driving me crazy! Thanks for helping with such a simple question. I'm sure I'll be back before I get to HoW.

SR
Old 10-11-2003, 10:17 AM   #6
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

The thing that aggravates me about IWD is the limited availability of spell scrolls... You have to wait for certain points in the game when you actually find or purchase scrolls. Quite often, I find my mages advance faster than the game is set to expect so they wander around with empty spell slots. So I often employ DaleKeeper to help me with that problem

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-13-2003, 07:31 AM   #7
kartetse
The Magister

Moraine! You're alive! I thought you died an untimely death - I guessed you weren't really dead, you know!

BTW. the last book (no.10) was in danger of being a bit tedious, not?

Kartetse
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

strangeranger, kartetse,

. . . [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] Welcome to the forum! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Strangeranger, To see the level and quantity of spells your mage is capable of memorizing, click on her spell book. Then, inside the book, uses arrows to flip the pages of the book (change spell levels). On each page there will be a box on the left for each spell slot at that spell level. The page on the right shows which spells are available to fill the slots. Simply click on the spell on the right hand page that you want to fill an empty slot. Create more empty slots by clicking on them to remove spells.

If you have available empty spell slots at a given level (empty boxes on the left page), and no available spells to memorize (on the right hand page) then it is probably time to go shopping at Orrick's place. Once acquired, get the spell into your book by right clicking on the spell and selecting the option "write to spell book." (Save just before you do this, and immediately after a successful scribe.)

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-13-2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:56 AM   #9
kartetse
The Magister

Thanks for the welcome NobleNick. Always good to learn from those with more experience. In this environment though, expereince rarely equals age. (Although my gut feel - partly based on my assesment of your writng style and mature friendliness gauges you at ...say ...just short of 30? Just joking!) Like I've now learnt from your reply, above. I had things down pat, except that I wasn't looking at higher level spells...mmm...but that will be rectified in the next session.

Great to participate in a good game!

kartetse
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:48 AM   #10
NobleNick
Quintesson

kartetse,

Thanks for (what I assume to be) a compliment.

Your age gauge would have gone higher had you noticed that I didn't catch that pritchke's excellent 2nd response totally answered strangeranger's question. Sometimes I think I have entered the Alzhiemer's zone. Think college senior x2 and you are getting much closer to the truth.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote