Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

It's really not much the same as rugby at all, except superficially...
Old 09-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Lavindathar
Harper

No I'd say it is Callum.

It's close, the rules do differ, but there are definate similarities.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #13
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well I'd say that the single rule difference of being able to throw the ball forwards in American Football changes the game substantially. That single change alters the game dramatically. In American football, there is a lot of emphasis on protecting the ball thrower so he can throw it to a runner, I believe... in rugby, the player with the ball will always be the furthest forward, closest to the opposition, and other players are penalised if they impede the oppositions path to tackle him.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
Lavindathar
Harper

The game does differ in that respect yes! Lol, and you got your understanding of Rugby spot on.

I was referring to the similarities in tackling though, and rugby is a far rougher sport. I only brought this up as Marthon stated he thought it funny I found the NFL soft.

In rugby you don't have pads or guards, and when a 20 stone bruiser hits you full force in the stomach, there are broken ribs a plenty.

Plus, everyone knows the english always fight. It's no different in rugby. Kicking & punching are regular.

And there are many injuries in the scrum as well...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
Marathon
Elminster

The difference is that in the NFL, you have athletes that are far superior to what you will find in any Rugby league, and the speed and force of collisions are far greater. Part of that goes into what Felix referenced earlier - the huge money that draws all the best athletes. So yes, if WE were to play football or rugby, our rugby match would be rougher. However, an NFL game is not soft, and I would say more violent than a rugby game.

And just to be contrary, how can a soccer fan call the NFL soft?
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #16
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Damn right I got my understanding of Rugby spot on... I play it

I'd hesitate to say that either NFL or rugby players are "better" athletes than the other. In the top leagues, both sports have the finest athletes around, within their respective sports.

I've never played football, but it seems rough enough to me... The fact that you have to wear helmets and pads says something towards that. But rugby can be pretty dirty... There have been people who have had their ears bitten almost off in the scrum... Something the helmets prevent.

I'd say that the greater speed and force of collisions is merely to do with the way the game is played. In rugby, noone is looking to get tackled, and will be twisting away to try and break through the lines, meaning that the tackler hsa to be on his toes, and can't simply smash into him full pelt.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #17
Lavindathar
Harper

You have better athletes? Give me a break.

Johna Lomu, 22 stone and ran the 100m in 10.9 seconds.

NFL is definately faster, and ON THE WHOLE i'd say there are definately more athletic people in the game. But tahts because in rugby some positions need to be small and fast, some require big and fast, and some require just plain big, even if they are slow.

But rugby is filled with big brutes that can pack an awful punch. And it's not an uncommon site to see people getting kicked, headbutted, punched. Against the rules yes, but it happens a lot.

[b]And "soccer" isn't as soft as you think. You don't watch it, so you don't know.

For example, this was two weeks ago in the Premiership, Man City vs Portsmouth.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51520137715640

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7795762765518&

Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Marathon
Elminster

Soccer is as soft as I think. I've played it, and have probably watched about as much of it as you do American Football. I'm not the one who started out calling a sport soft, and I don't think soccer is completely soft, but it doesn't come close to the NFL IMO. A non-American calling the NFL soft reminds me of an American calling Soccer boring.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #19
Lavindathar
Harper

That's cos you watch American soccer, which IS boring

And the NFl is far rougher than english football, obviously.

Just not as rough as rugby!!

I think we should draw a line under this one now. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Always happy to be of service. So fantasy American Football eh?